Need temporary fix for ceiling rain leak

I live in an apartment, and the living room ceiling near the deck has a rain leak: During the biggest rainstorms, some water drips down onto my carpet from one particular spot on the ceiling. There's a stain on the ceiling there too.

I've had the maintenance people in my apartment twice, but so far they have failed to fix the problem. They'll have to try again next week.

While they're still trying to figure it out, is there some *temporary* fix I can use to stop the water from dripping from the ceiling every time there's a big storm?

Silicone caulk? Rope caulk? Anything else?

Reply to
Steven L.

From what I've learned of roof leaks, you ought not try to patch it from indoors. Then, the water will collect in the ceiling and create worse problems.

I'd patch it the roof. Or clear indoor floor, and put down buckets. Put a towel in the bucket, so the water doesn't bounce, splash up and out.

.

I've had the maintenance people in my apartment twice, but so far they have failed to fix the problem. They'll have to try again next week.

While they're still trying to figure it out, is there some *temporary* fix I can use to stop the water from dripping from the ceiling every time there's a big storm?

Silicone caulk? Rope caulk? Anything else?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Nope, must be fixed on the roof.

Use a bucket.

Reply to
Dan Espen

+1

It's getting into the ceiling from outside. How on earth could you stop it at the ceiling? Regardless of what you tried to do, the water would still be coming in. If anything you could make the problem worse, because the water will just pool up until it finds another place to go. That could be 5 ft away and then you have a new leak and a screwed ceiling in between. Just put a bucket under it until they fix it.

Reply to
trader4

"Steven L." wrote in news:ReadnVYfPsMy9Y_MnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Others have given you good advice (bucket). Move any possessions out of the way of the water, and out of the way of the eventual collapse of the ceiling's sheetrock. Quite a bit can come down at once, so clear a large area.

About the only temporary fudge-fix I can think of is to try and re-direct the water so it runs off to the side. You may be able to affix a sheet of heavy plastic (e.g.: vapor barrier) to the ceiling inboard of the leak, and slope it down, off to the side, and into a bucket. But that may be more trouble than it's worth.

Reply to
Tegger

Well, there goes my home entertainment center. :-(

I had better move my TV, DVR, etc., completely out of that corner of the room.

Reply to
Steven L.

I agree with the others. Bucket is the best solution for now.

You might want to pull up the rug (if possible) if underneath is absorbing water to prevent smell and structural problems. And best not to alter anything so the roof guys can see what has taken place over time.

Reply to
Doug

"Steven L." wrote in news:LIKdnZZ1LKoJH4_MnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Absolutely! Move it far away and cover it with plastic. Depending on how the ceiling is built and how much rain falls, water can actually puddle up there. And when the drywall finally falls down, that puddle can splash/soak a large area.

Better read up on your home-contents insurance as well. Your landlord's insurance almost certainly /won't/ cover your possessions.

Reply to
Tegger

Just a guess on my part based on your post but sometimes there is flashing just above the doorway outside. If so, you might want to caulk around it and see if this helps.

Reply to
Doug

You could also try putting a small hole in the ceiling right where the water is now dripping from. That may help let the water out from the ceiling so it doesn't build up and get heavy and cause the sheetrock to collapse as others mentioned. And, hopefully with the hole you can direct the water to drop directly into the bucket below.

But, still move you belongings from the area below if possible.

Reply to
TomR

Yes, the water tends to drip from a spot on the ceiling that's right near the wall. I might be able to catch it with a funnel that I'll tape to the wall.

It sounds like it's actually better to let the water drip out, rather than try to seal it up in the ceiling!

Reply to
Steven L.

During a rainstorm, the water drips from a point on the ceiling that is right near the wall where my deck is.

If there's a crack or crevice in the outside wall, it may be right behind the deck of the apartment above me: The water pools on the upstairs deck and then seeps down through the wall into my apartment.

Fixing that is a big job.

Reply to
Steven L.

Yes, that's for sure.

.

It sounds like it's actually better to let the water drip out, rather than try to seal it up in the ceiling!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes, you should.

Reply to
dennisgauge

Luckily, it's not your problem. It's up to the landlord to fix, and if he doesn't fix it then you call the housing authority, and if he still doesn't fix it you can claim breach of lease and move.

Reply to
dennisgauge

Maintenance should put a tarp on the roof.

Reply to
Metspitzer

"Steven L." wrote in news:xP6dnWyOsb61OY_MnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Yes, it is better to let it drip. But don't go making any holes in the ceiling! This is your landlord's problem, not yours. If he sees that you've poked a hole in the ceiling and the ceiling later falls in, he may accuse you of having precipitated the collapse through your action. The accusation may be groundless, but it may lead to hard feelings, or worse. The last thing you want in a rental relationship.

Move your stuff, then leave the situation alone and let it do what it wants to do. If the leak never gets fixed, consult a paralegal as to your legal options.

Reply to
Tegger

I guess that's possible, but if all you do is make a small hole -- maybe 1/4 inch or less -- I don't see you having any problem. If you have a digital camera, take a few pictures now, and again after you put the small hole in.

Or, you could wait until it rains again and starts dripping and call them again. If you can get them to come out then, ask them to put a small hole there so the water will drip out into a bucket rather than building up in the ceiling and/or wall. And, of course, keep notes or records of any contacts you made with the landlord and/or maintenance company and when they came out etc.

Reply to
TomR

A bucket.

Reply to
clare

Steven- are you an the top loor - roof leak, or lower down - wall or door leak?? Poured concrete construction or wood-framed floors?

Reply to
clare