Roof leak Temporary fixes

My asphalt shingle roof (approximately 20 years old) leaks. This is the roof over the first floor that covers the kitchen, BR closet and bathroon. I have had leaks into all three rooms. I replaced the black felt and 27 feet of shingles (linear) from the side of the second floor wall outward about three feet. I installed new flashing up under the old flashing and re-nailed it. I've used black roofing caulk as well as elastomeric caulk and have slowed down the leaks but not stopped them.

Went back out two days ago and noticed the bottom corner of the windows were rotted. Since it was about to rain, I caulked the corners and the area under the windows. That almost stopped the bathroom leaks.

My question is, is there a temporary fix I can apply over the shingles and the exposed flashing (6 inches) to act as a water barrier until next spring?

I've looked into Koolseal's elastomeric roof coating but they say it does not work for asphalt shingles.

Any suggestions? Thanks much.

Reply to
bee man

Here in Florida, we use blue tarps.

They should last until spring.

Asphalt shingles are pretty crummy by the way.

Reply to
spt97

Blue tarps will do for awhile. What is your roof pitch?. With that many leaks, it may be too low a slope for shingles to work properly. Before you re-shingle next year, you may wish to check that you pitch is at least 4" per foot laterally, for replacement asphalt shingles to work properly. You may have to use another type of permanent roofing system, if you have a low pitch.

Reply to
Roger Taylor

in the wall above the roof. It sounds like we are talking about a one story extension to a two story house. TB

Reply to
tbasc

Other than putting a big blue tarp over the roof? No, nothing else temporary.

But look at it a different way, WHY is water collecting there? What about the situation isn't getting the water away from the house like it should? Is the roof pitch too shallow? Are there rain gutters dumping water in the wrong place? Or are there NO gutters that would move the water to the right place? Caulking is never a solution for stopping what should be handled through other means.

Reply to
wkearney99

I have used a product similar to Koolseal and it did stop the leaks. At work we have 55 gallons drums of the stuff. Use it every time we touch a penetration through the roof. Seems to work for us. You may need several coats to stop the leak. Best to let dry between the coats.

Reply to
SQLit

Any Idea as to the name of this stuff?

Reply to
Chuck

I am in the Florida Panhandle. There are lots of blue tarps here. As for the shingles, it isn't my house. Landlord is in another state and I'm just trying to hold off the leaks until I can move.

Reply to
bee man

Yes, there are lots of blue tarps around here in the Florida Panhandle. I don't know what the pitch is. Probably not much. I suspect you may be correct about the too low pitch being part of the problem.

Reply to
bee man

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it is a one story extension of a two story house. The house was built in 1938 and is right on the Gulf of Mexico.

The house received new siding (similar to Hardy board) and a new roof 20 years ago. There was no flashing at all on/around the brick chimney. I installed flashing two months ago around the chimney (no longer used) and stopped the leak into the kitchen. I still have a second kitchen leak but that is from a metal pipe that runs from underneath the house and up the side. Where this pipe comes up through the first floor roof is where the leak is. I suspect it also moves laterally and is not leaking into the BR closet. Here, I have used black roof caulking all around the pipe to try and seal the leak. Apparently not well enough, I guess.

As for the weather barrier in the second story walls, I do not know if there is any barrier installed.

Reply to
bee man

Where may I purchase blue tarp? I thought it was only available from FEMA? All of the blue roofs I've seen are after hurricanes and FEMA has OK'ed the roof repair.

The roof pitch may well be too shallow. I don't know what the pitch is. There are no gutters on the second story roof.

I agree with you that caulking is not the true solution. I don't own the house so I'm just trying to do some stopgap repairs until I can move.

Thanks for your reply. Appreciate it.

Reply to
bee man

What is this product you use? Can it be painted over? Thanks for your replies.

Reply to
bee man

Sounds like you are chasing down several leaks. Flashing @ chimney, windows, flashing @ wall & roof, pipe penetrations... You are probably doing all that can be done without major work. Leaks are hard to trace, since water moves around within the assemblies. TB

Reply to
tbasc

Any sort of tarp would do.

Then there's your most likely culprit. Letting the water sheet off that roof and down onto the other is a bad idea. Not just from the water but from the wear the flow would cause.

A section of gutter and some downspout can be bought from your typical home center for not much money. They're easy enough to install, you just need a ladder that'll reach.

Well then a BIG UGLY TARP might be just the thing to 'encourage' the owner to wake up to the damage that's being done to the house.

Reply to
wkearney99

:> My question is, is there a temporary fix I can apply over the shingles :> and the exposed flashing (6 inches) to act as a water barrier until next :> spring? I delayed my reroof job by buying and using a 5 gallon can of roof cement that cost me $20. I used about 3 gallons of it and after a September storm caused a leak I couldn't figure out how to stop, I set a date with a roofing company. I just couldn't imagine where I'd put cement to stop that leak. I wanted to wait for spring. A foundation contractor told me he thought the cost of materials would go way up by spring, so I figured stop the leak or not, it was time to have the roof done ASAP. The job was long overdue, and it's done now.

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

:wkearney99 wrote: :>>My question is, is there a temporary fix I can apply over the shingles :>>and the exposed flashing (6 inches) to act as a water barrier until next :>>spring? :> :> :> Other than putting a big blue tarp over the roof? No, nothing else :> temporary. :> :> But look at it a different way, WHY is water collecting there? What about :> the situation isn't getting the water away from the house like it should? :> Is the roof pitch too shallow? Are there rain gutters dumping water in the :> wrong place? Or are there NO gutters that would move the water to the right :> place? Caulking is never a solution for stopping what should be handled :> through other means. :> :Where may I purchase blue tarp? I thought it was only available from :FEMA? All of the blue roofs I've seen are after hurricanes and FEMA has :OK'ed the roof repair. : :The roof pitch may well be too shallow. I don't know what the pitch is. : There are no gutters on the second story roof. : :I agree with you that caulking is not the true solution. I don't own :the house so I'm just trying to do some stopgap repairs until I can move. : :Thanks for your reply. Appreciate it. I've seen blue tarps all over, in particular Home Depot. I ordered a silver tarp from Harbor Freight online, and it was a better deal than Home Depot and evidently a better tarp. This was around two years ago, and it's on my garage right now. The recent hurricanes may have dried up the supply of big tarps, though. I couldn't find one after the storms of summer 2004 to save my ass.

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

Thanks for your replies. I appreciate it.

Reply to
bee man

I agree with you and will do this right after Christmas.

LOL, you just might have the ticket here. Thanks.

Reply to
bee man

Substitute black or clear polypropelyne sheet in rolls, and just put the lathe down closer together. 'Specially if someone else owns the roof.

Reply to
Goedjn