Asphalt shingle roof repair

Anybody know of a good basic source on repairing storm damage to a standard asphalt shingle roof ?

I just need to learn what's involved, what materials should be on hand, what to do and what not to do.

thanks

Reply to
Jim-Poncin

read the back of a bundle of shingles

Reply to
Longshot

Check you home owner's insurance. Mine was storm damaged and they paid for a new one.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

For some subjects the Internet isn't nearly as good as a library or book store, and publishers like Taunton Press (has website w/ FAQs and forums) and HP Books have lots of titles about home construction/repair.

I had to remove shingles way beyond the area of damage and tuck new tar paper under the old (has to overlap like shingles, where the stuff higher up the roof goes over the stuff lower down so that water will shed). I found that 20-30 lb. tar paper is better because its extra weight makes it easier to handle in the wind. Also a small pry bar helps a lot, not just for removing nails but also for nailing the new shingles underneath the existing ones (You hammer the pry bar; the pry bar hammers the nail). If the area of repair is large, you may want to snap chaulk lines to keep the rows of shingles straight.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly