Roof repair

Today we had a bad wind storm and a large stick hit my roof. It appears that only one shingle (asphalt) is damaged. Is it possible to replace one shingle? Or should I just get some roof putty and repair the one shingle?

Many thanks

Reply to
Larry Sams

cc0112453

It seems cc0112453 posted a response to the wrong original message. His suggestions are good if you also have moss on your roof.

Yes you can replace a single shingle. I suggest that over roof cement. Cement will not last as long or look as good as a replacement shingle. The last time I needed one replaced, I decided I did not really enjoy getting on roofs any more. I had bought a few replacement shingles and I happened on a supervisor for a local roofing company on his lunch hour in his truck a block away. I asked him to take a look. I supplied a couple cans of cold pop and he did the work for free. By the time I had the pop, he was climbing down off the roof.

How old is your roof? What is the condition? If it is about that time, you may want to just do the quick patch and plan on replacement next summer.

You may want to check your insurance as well. Damage may be covered. Of course it may not be worth the bother.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan