Measuring for windows

Any quick tips for measuring the rough opening for "new construction" windows in a home with plaster walls?

I pulled off the inside trim around the window, but the plaster goes right up to the window casing. I can't see the jackstuds.

Thanks,

-CF

Reply to
CFster

Start chipping the plaster back. The trim will cover your exploratory excavations.

What's the exterior siding/trim situation?

RicodJour

Shakes. Being removed in favor of vinyl siding. So we thought it best to go with new construction windows rather than replacement.

The contractor is handling that, along with the installation of the windows.

I'll be handling the interior part - putting the trim back on etc. I don't have a lot of experience with plaster though - what if I chip back to far (past the trim)? How do I patch it?

Thanks,

-CF

Reply to
CFster

Let the guy doing the installation order the windows. That way it's his responsibility if there's a mistake in the order.

Putting the trim back on...? That doesn't always work. You're pulling the windows and putting in new ones. Why do you think the trim would be the same size? Murphy's law, if the new and old windows are slightly different in size, the trim will be short!

Patching the plaster can be done with plaster, setting-type joint compound (comes as dry powder in a bag and you mix it up - Durabond is one brand name).

Hie thee to a library and check out their home improvement books. They'll answer a lot of your questions and give you a good overview. If you're stuck, post again.

RicodJour