Dishwasher - spray arm split - seals overwhelmed

Starting with a shout out to all the seals who are pupping along the East Coast at the moment. But I digress.

Called out the local engineer who services the Lamona kit for Howdens under warranty. So an obvious choice for our out of warranty Lamona dishwasher.

He obviously had a very good idea what the fault probably was.

Apparently the spray arms can split along the side of the moulding. When that happens instead of a nice distributed spray you get a sheet of water blasting across the inside of the dishwasher which overwhelms the seals. If it is the lower arm (as in our case) it tends to avoid the flood tray and work its way along the base and come out near the front.

If it is the upper arm then it tends to go down into the flood tray and stop the machine.

In and out in less than 15 minutes.

This leaves me embarrassed that I could have fixed it, but also aware that I could have pulled the damn thing out and stripped it down and not found the fault because it wasn't in the works, but just the spray arm.

Definitely a case of the traditional "£1 to hit it with a hammer, £999 to know where to hit it" and all in all it was money well spent.

£86.24 including a new spray arm.

Acceptable for an 8 year old dishwasher at around £10 a year - I assume that an extended warranty would have cost more (haven't checked).

A timely arrival as well as I was about to disassemble the inside of the cupboard under the sink to allow access to the pipework in case it had to be pulled out to gain access.

Now to put 8 years of miscellaneous items back into the cupboard.

Hey ho.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I seem to recall in this very group that split spray arms were discussed before. Kind of makes you wonder what the problem is about making such things. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

On 03/11/2020 09:57, David wrote: [...]

money well spent.

[...] A D&G insurance policy 'extended warranty' would have cost you many, many times more.

TW

Reply to
TimW

Had a similar issue with the Miele - one of the plastic screw-in pipe pieces that attach the spray arm had perished, was shedding plastic fragments and was thus not watertight. As I recall the part alone was about the same as the cost of your repair!

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Theo <theom+ snipped-for-privacy@chiark.greenend.org.uk> posted

If a foreign body gets into in the spray arm and blocks a spray hole - paper is a common culprit - it can be very hard to get it out. Yes, you can poke it out of the hole and into the arm interior, but there's no foolproof way of washing it out of the arm itself, and if you don't it'll just find its way back into the hole again.

Reply to
Algernon Goss-Custard

Our problem is limescale from hard water creating flakes inside the arms which block the nozzles.

Our dishwasher, and the new ones that we've researched (our present dishwasher is failing for various other reasons) have arms which are welded together. Why can't they make the arms in two halves (top and bottom) which can be separated (maybe after removing C clips) so you can clean all the crud from inside? Is there some fundamental reason why this design is not used?

You can push the limescale back inside the arm with the tine of a fork to clear blocked holes, but that just allows it to accumulate: much better if you can remove it rather than sweeping it under the carpet so it becomes part of the problem and finds its way back into the hole again, as you say.

OK, so you can dunk the hole arm into a bath of acid (vinegar?) to dissolve the limescale fragments, but if you can't see inside the arm you don't know when everything has been dissolved.

Reply to
NY

Every dishwasher I have ever owned has had a build in water softener.

Don't yours?

We never have trouble with limescale in the dishwasher (unlike the kettle...)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Maybe we haven't got the water softener set to a high enough setting to compensate for our hard water. I'll check the setting against the manual.

Reply to
NY

Yes, you

Remove spray arm. Attach vacuum hose to centre hole. Block other side of centre hole. Foolproof.

Reply to
WeAllWant ToBeHappy