Dishwasher leaks, but only sometimes!

We can't figure it out. Sometimes wake up to a giant puddle on our kitchen floor...the dishwasher leaks.

We always make sure that the garbage disposal has run, and that the sink drains aren't blocked.

But sometimes it leaks, and sometimes it doesn't.

In fact, it leaked yesterday, but not last night. We ran it again this morning, and it didn't leak. Right now it is running again, and this time it's leaking! (Yeah, alot of dishes these past couple of days).

The dishwasher is a Kitchenaid, about 2 years old.

Reply to
JD

Check that the door is closing properly Something in the basket that still allows the door to latch, but not quite close all the way? Check the screws around the top where it mounts to the countertop. I had one back out just a little and it caused a leak.

Check the top rack to be sure it is seating properly and not pushing against the door. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hi,

Sometimes a leak will leave a tell tale sign ( white streak is possible from the soap and water ) that may point you towards the trouble maker.

Have you accually seen the d/w leak?....from under the door, from under the d/w itself?

common leaking trouble makers.

Ever see any sudz inside the d/w?

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Where does it leak?

I was told that a dishwasher can leak at the door due to sudsing. If you have a lot of suds that might be the case.

Just open your dishwasher after the normal wash cycle (when the water is drained) and see if you have a lot of suds.

There're few reasons of oversudsing: too much detergent, wrong detergent being used, water is too soft...

Reply to
Alexander Litvin

I have the same problem. Mine is a "portable" Kenmore. Originally I thought I'd cured the problem, because I found broken glass in the bottom. When I removed this, it no longer leaked. But it has started again, and I don't know why either. It definitely comes out the bottom, and I don't see any soap in the water.

Let me know if you solve your problem, and I share my solution if I find one!

Reply to
Betsy

Check to make sure the float that controls the water level isn't sticking (maybe intermittently) because food (or a piece of that broken glass)is under it. Could tip it so it sticks or make the shaft it slides up and down in sticky....Also could be a faulty switch .

Reply to
Tom

This sounds like it could be the answer--where do I find the float? Thanks.

Reply to
Betsy

If the dishwasher isn't draining properly the dishwasher will leak. There's usually a plunger type pump inside the washer that will allow you to unclog it.

Rich

Reply to
EvoDawg

Check for suds in the water when the dishwasher is running, there shouldn't be any.

Make sure the spray arms are turning freely and not jammed pointing directly at the door like from a spoon fallen through on of the racks or the racks touching them.

Make sure plates are loaded as per the user's manual and not in such a position as water from the spray arm(s) are deflected directly at the door as the door doesn't make an air tight seal.

Failing those, you're going to have to inspect it and locate *exactly* where the leak is origination. Often leaks will leave a trail or soap scum along it's path from above.

If you locate it and can't determine the cause let us know *along with the complete model number off the dishwasher* and we'll see if we can suggest something. You can find tips for locating the model and serial number tag on your appliances in the 'Repair Parts' section of my site lined below.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Hi,

Depends on the make/model/style of your d/w....a common one....

switch is below the d/w behind the lower access panals.
jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

I missed the original post, but looking at the subject I'd like to respond.

We had a leaky dishwasher (sometimes). The problem turned out to be a missing mounting screw for the top pull-out rack. The missing screw left a hole in the side of the dishwasher and I guess sometimes we'd put a dish in that blocked water from the hole. The times when we loaded it differently, the water could spray right at the hole and the dishwasher leaked.

good luck. mikey.

Reply to
EmbErna

Check and clean the door seals and the area of the dishwasher that they contact. Dirt in this area can keep the door from sealing properly and allow water to leak out.

-- Tony Karp, TLC Systems Corp Techno-Impressionist Museum:

TLC Systems:

Tony Karp

Sometimes an item will stick down from the lower rack & keep the washer arm from moving (most common is a cutlery item sticking down past the bottom of the cutlery basket). This can cause the pressurized water to shoot up under the door & out the air vents in the door (if so equipped).

My dishwasher started leaking sometimes. I found that it wasn't quite level, back to front. I leveled it, and it stopped leaking.

Reply to
KenM

Reply to
tkmerriman

replying to JD, No more leaky dishwasher! wrote: I had this issue and found that the problem was the way I was placing the dishes. Whenever I put in an item that was too large and it would stop the water distribution thing that spins from spinning! On either level... I guess the water would pool and cause the leak at the door. Since realizing this I have always checked that the water distributors can spin freely after every load and my machine has never leaked again...

Reply to
No more leaky dishwasher!

My Bosch DW has a large screened vent-like panel on the left side. If I stack a large platter or similar next to it, I'll sometimes get some leakage.

No idea why- but I leave it clear when I load.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

On Sun 12 Aug 2018 06:44:05a, No more leaky dishwasher! told us...

This shouldn't have to be. What brand of dishwasher? How old? What price range? Are the original owner?

Many years ago, at different times, I had two different dishwashers that would sometimes leak at the door, particularly nearer the bottom of the sides. Both dishwashers were General Electric. The gaskets happened to have a wire running through them. In the one case merely chec king the gasket and realligning it resolved the problem. In the other case the gasket needed to be replaced, a very easy job.

In my case it had nothing to do with how the dishes were loaded or how wash arms spinned.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright