Is there such a thing as a comfortable sleeper sofa?

Just posing this question out there.

I know that they are all sofas pretty well, but, the sleeper part is never good.

Has anyone ever had a restful night sleeping on one of these, and, perhaps more importantly, do you know who made it?

I realize this is sort of off topic, but just wondering if there isn;t something I should be looking for with my next sleeper sofa.

Alright, its my first.

TIA

Mr. Curious

Reply to
ng_reader

Try a futon....

Reply to
Bishoop

You know it's funny we just got rid of one.

Yep, it's kind of comfortable, and I got the best one I thought I could find - gold bond or something - but it never stayed on the frame! So the couch was always looking odd.

In any event, I *did* find this company in Brooklyn that makes an interesting product: Scott Jordan Furniture scottjordan.com

I think at this point it might be overkill. I'll just make the kids sleep on the uncomfortable sleeper sofa, and move the P's into a twin.

Reply to
ng_reader

Hi, Mr. Curious, how big are you? It depends a lot on that. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Let me amend that to say a futon-style drop-down couch frame, but with conventional mattresses instead of that damn bag of lint. I bought a top-of the line from one of the big chains a few years back, only used it as a bed a few times, and at the end of the first year it looked like a prison mattress. Threw the cushion away, and had a local mattress store make me custom foam cushions the same size. Not bad now. Not like a real bed, but tolerable for a night or three, which is about all the longer I want company staying anyway.

Now as to those regular sofa sleepers- forget it- never been on one where that damn bar didn't jab me in the back all night. Usually end up pulling out the 2" mattress, and sleeping on that on the floor, after folding the couch back up. If I'm visiting someone who only has that to offer, I bring a sleeping bag/airbed or stay in a hotel.

Reply to
ameijers

Years ago, I had a Castro Convertible sleeper sofa. Surprisingly, the mattress was moderately comfortable for a year or so, but it rapidly deteriorated. By the way, I've found that moving can destroy any mattress, no matter how good it once was. I've seen movers FOLD (or attempt to fold) mattresses. If you have a mattress that you like, and if you plan to move, I suggest supervising the movers every step of the way as they carry it, from the house to the truck and from the truck to the new house. The last time I moved, I told the movers how important the mattress was to me (it was only a few months old). I turned my back for a minute and then started watching them again, to discover they were attempting to bend it while walking up stairs. They coudn't have cared less about my concerns, and this was one of the "better" moving companies.

I'd say that one of the main causes of uncomfortable sofa beds is that you HAVE to fold/bend the mattress each time you fold up the bed. I don't think there's any way a mattress can survive long when it's bent like that, even if it starts out as a fairly decent mattress. The other problem is that, in order to fold the mattress and fit it in the sofa frame, the mattress has to be quite thin, so it's probably not going to be comfortable or thick enough to prevent you from feeling the metal or wood and hardware underneath.

Some friends of mine have a trundle bed that they say is moderately comfortable, but I've never slept in it, so I don't know for sure.

Last year, I had to sleep on a futon for a while. It was very uncomfortable at first because the "mattress" part was too thin and I could feel the metal underneath. I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond (or maybe it was Linens and Things) and bought a foam pad to fit underneath the futon "mattress." That improved matters a lot. Later, I added a second foam pad, and the futon was finally comfortable. Those foam pads are available in pre-cut sizes to fit the size of the beds (twin, full, queen, etc.).

Reply to
chemqueries

Those TempurPedic mattresses sound like they might do the job. Though they are expensive.

Reply to
FDR

-> Just posing this question out there.

->

-> I know that they are all sofas pretty well, but, the sleeper part is never

-> good.

->

-> Has anyone ever had a restful night sleeping on one of these, and, perhaps

-> more importantly, do you know who made it?

->

-> I realize this is sort of off topic, but just wondering if there isn;t

-> something I should be looking for with my next sleeper sofa.

->

-> Alright, its my first.

->

-> TIA

->

-> Mr. Curious

Are we talking about an overnight guest or long-term sleeping arrangements?

I was thinking that you could get one of those inflatable mattresses (air bed?) and put that on top of the original sleeper sofa mattress. You can make up your own mind whether that would be overnight or long-term! (Be careful that there is something between the springs and the air bed so you don't cause any punctures.)

I have two futon beds/mattresses. One is a cheap, thin mattress. I don't think it would ever be comfortable without several additions to make it thicker. A couple of foam pads as someone suggested might work.

The other futon mattress is 8" thick and I can tell that there is some foam in there. It's much, much more comfortable. Still, I won't sleep on it without a foam pad on top. (Maybe I'm just spoiled.) When it comes to futon mattresses, thicker is better.

To answer your original question, "Is there such a thing as a comfortable sleeper sofa?" The answer is, for sleeping, no! (For sitting, sure.)

Reply to
Suzie-Q

Sure.

Wife and I have an RV with a sleeper sofa in it, brand is "flexsteel". That's a pretty common commodity brand; should be easy to find.

This one had a center bar that dropped quite a bit below the support web when the sofa was extended.

And the support web is made of nylon straps (like seat belts are made of, but thinner) with springs at the edges. As opposed to a wire grid like the olden days.

We found it pretty comfortable, though a bit droopy.

Reply to
thrugoodmarshall

What you need is to stop looking for a couch that converts into a bed, and start looking for a bed that converts into a couch. Search on the keyword "daybed".

--Goedjn

Reply to
Goedjn

Good advice, thanks. Found them on the Internet. One of the better catch phrases:

"This is a company with a proud history and a brilliant future."

Reply to
ng_reader