Pop-up power sockets for kitchen island - Is there such a thing?

I would like to use my laptop on the kitchen island we are putting into our new build. I was wondering if there is a product out there which recesses flush into the kithen worktop and can popped up when required (like a tower)? Does anybody know if there is such a product? Haven't been able to find anything yet. Regards Sean

Reply to
Sean

Floor sockets? Recess an extra 5mm, put a bit of worktop stuff on them?

RCD!!!

Reply to
Ian Stirling

That wouldn't work, think about were the hinge is....

To bloody right, and place them on their own radial circuit so when the inevitable, water induced, short circuit happens it doesn't take loads of other stuff with it....

Perhaps a better idea would be to place the sockets on the side of the kitchen island.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

On the one floor socket I saw 'in the flesh', the hinge was designed so that this would work. Seemingly to make the plug able to sit nearly flush with the edge of the socket, and reduce the overall height. Err, length.

I'd agree that the most sensible thing is probably a socket on the vertical. Or perhaps even underside of the worktops?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Given the potential for spills etc, wouldn't it be more sensible to consider a LV option? Think I'd use a 12v transformer with an aircraft or car power socket and the appropriate laptop lead. Sure I've seen at least one of those in a "pop up" form...

Won't stop damage to the laptop if there is a spill, but may prevent damage to the user ;p :)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

That's what I did.........

Tim

Reply to
Tim Nicholson

If the worktop overhangs the edge of the base unit (as is common on island units that you can sit at), one of those angled sockets designed for under unit fitting in kitchens might be good.

John Rumm

Obtain a second laptop PSU and wire this inside the cabinet out of harms way, then run the cable to a small surface mounting connector of the same type from RS or Maplin. Low voltage, isolated and doesn't need protection. Remember to buy the cable from the new socket to the laptop at the same time.

Reply to
G&M

I haven't seen any pop-up sockets but there are various recessed sockets for desks, etc., and sockets with flaps designed to be used on the floor. I have some rescued ones in the workshop, though the floor ones aren't fit to be used anywhere else. You could always have a flush socket and keep one of those nylon dummy thingies in it when it's out of use so it doesn't get filled up with toast crumbs.

Reply to
Richard Porter

makes these. I would like to know if they plan to do RJ45 sockets as I would like to wire it if possible

Sean

Reply to
Sean

it would be quite cool to have a inductive loop under the work top and a corresponding pad placed under the laptop (like a scalled up electric toothbrush charger).

The laptop i've got here is rated at 3.5 amps @ 16v DC. How do you go about guestimating the size of the coils?

no exposed wireds, but is there a cancer risk??

Reply to
Peter D