portfolio for architecture school

I am considering architecture school after an eight year career in Academia teaching studio art. I have an MFA in sculpture. I have chosen the school in which I am interested and have spoken to a professor there who was very encouraging. But I would like to have some advice on putting together the portfolio in terms of images.

Reply to
salpackard

I applied for one school, and got in. I did my research in advance the discover the tastes and biases of those who would be reviewing my portfolio. I did this by attending crits at the school a year in advance, and by roaming the studios at all hours of the day and night and talking to anyone who looked like they were distracted from their work. Students are very insightful and frank about what flies with the faculty and what doesn't.

My admissions process was a questionnaire with essay questions, then a portfolio, and then three interviews. You were invited to the interview on the basis of the first two stages. My portfolio was entirely tailored to getting into that program as opposed to a grab bag of work done for other reasons: down to the choice of concept, paper, media, approach, structure and packaging. In short, it was a design to get me into that school. There were only four (real) drawings in it, but they were pretty good and "architectural", a few diagrams, and some writing in support of the ideas.

Having said all that, with the background you say you have, I would imagine that the challenge would be demonstrate conceptual, maybe even "architectural" thinking as opposed to graphic technique or formal competency. All sophistry aside, they aren't the same thing. We draw them small, but the smallest building is a lot bigger than you are, and architectural experiences are largely based on that fact. For example, in my interview, they brought up a comment I made in an earlier questionnaire about Saarinen's JFK terminal. I purposely avoided making any of the clichéd remarks about the form and said that it "circulates well". They asked me what I meant by that, and I explained that the partially symmetrical dome overhead kept one aware of the one's position in the whole thing in a way that a linear layout like O'Hare, or a purely symmetrical shape never could. I used a metaphor of the fixed stars and sailors, and I could tell by their faces at that moment that I was "in".

The other thing you might want to investigate is how they feel about mature students. The result may also affect a successful approach.

Good Luck with it!

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

My comments are not meant to discourage you but to inform.

If you intend to become an architect I urge you to understand that America has become a fascist police state. You will be required to obtain a license from fascists in he private sector who have literally bought and paid for corrupt fascist legislators to empower members of the A.I.A. to determine who can and who can not work in America. The point to be made is not one that rejects the notion of education and credentialing but helpinmg others to learn from my own experience and that of others who have come to learn and accept that what I am explaining to you is in fact factual and relaying the fact that licensed credentialing has indeed become fascism as a means to control what used to be called the middle class; generally considered to be comprised of well educated professionals.

The profession of architecture like all other "licensed" occupations has become corrupted by fascist governance. As for your question regarding a portfolio you could show a scrapbook of your vacation to Wally World and you will be admitted to just about any architectural school in the jewnited states and the friendly professor will smile in your face regardless.

It was bad when I was in school in the 80's but my nephew could not even get into the school he wanted as an honor roll student because there are also schools that will not admit you because they are catering to negros or foreign interests which provide funding to the school for catering to those who have not earned the right to be there but are given special favor. Yes, its a matter of funding and the fact that architecture schools in the 1980's when I graduated were already pumping out over 16,000 graduates a year and as I understand it the numbers are greater now that students are being discouraged to become engineers and the like due to the globalization of the labor force from China and India being used to deconstruct our former nation's middle class in the same way the new world odor fascists are bringing millions of illegal Mexican aliens into the country to compensate for the negro parasite which has refused to assimilate into the manual labor force as the jew banking financiers expected.

Call me what you will and think of me what you will but consider its many years of your life I am referring to and hear what is being said as it is in your best interest to seriously consider these statements dispassionately. I mean you don't really think the jews who control the jewnited states economy have spent billions of dollars on the negro because they have a deep love and respect for the people do you? You don't really think the current trend to see Negros everywhere you look on TV, newspapers, magazines and related medis really because they sing and dance so well is it? No, its cold hearted economics that are at work these days as the jews build their new world odor intended to enthrone a global capital in Jerusalem where they will seat what the Christians call the anti-christ and they have already announced in certain circles they intend to increas the population in what has become the jewnited states by up to 100 million Spanish speaking cheap manual labor providers from Mexico. You can test my numbers by going to census.gov and observing there are ~35 million reported Negros and ~35 million reported Hispanic "Spanish speaking" not to mention the 10-12 million illegal Mexicans the fascists have allowed into the country to prime their North American Union economy. You can go to the bank with this; in ten years just about the time you are through with a master's degree and enter work as an intern attempting to become licensed the Negro will wake up to realize there are nearly 100 million Mexicans in the country. Hello? Are you awake yet?

Once you graduate -- assuming the societal circumstances do not prevent that occurrence -- unless you are exceedingly talented to the extreme, the son of an alumni member who contributes large amounts of money, the son of a fascist who owns a firm, or literally a h*mo who will trade sex for work assignments you will be compelled by law to do nothing but boring work such as drafting toilet partitions and these days painting clouds using PhotoShop. You will be hired on a salary thus you will be compelled to work over-time and weekends at your expense meaning at no pay. You will likely be offered no medical insurance unless hired by a large firm. Despite the smiles in your face you will be the political target of every other person in the firm hoping to become licensed.

That is the life of the "intern" who is now compelled by law to work for a fascist employer for many years noting the employer may or may not assign the many hundreds of hours of work tasks that the law now requires to obtain a license from the state noting the competition within firms is grueling, brutal and cruel as the interns all vie for those work assingments the law now requires can only be credited when "volunteering" to work for a fascist employer who has no obligation to assign you any work at all. No suckee upee. No work assingment. No credit the law requires. No license. These are the brutal facts. I would add anyone not agreeing either remains deluded as I once was or is a damn liar of the sort I have referred to.

I hope you understand and accept this brutal description of the way it really is and take off the rose colored glasses. And the worst part? Nobody will explain these facts of contemporary life to you except a person like myself who has been burned and had his work stolen by the school he attended only to be built by favored students put on the career track and then blackballed by emploers who will not hire because I screamed about what I am explaining in paragraphs to follow.

So this is the final thing I wish to inform you of. IF YOU PROCEED DO NOT ATTEND A SCHOOL THAT ALLOWS THE STAFF TO MOONLIGHT.

I am a graduate of the School of Architecture and Urban Planning -- Milwaukee. The school allows staff to moonlight. From Dean Robert Greenstreet all the way down almost all will be pimps and thieves. Dean Greenstreet thinks he's clever and is quoted in the newspaper calling his theivery "from gown to town" but the fact is the thieves will assign "conceptual" projects to the student body; work that will then be serrepticiously taken and shopped to private sector developers and politicians. The students will never be the wiser as the assigned projects will be cleverly restructured to imply an entirely different context or a make-believe site that does not tip anybody off to the actual objective where the pimps and thieves operating the school make copies of the works developed by the student body and shop them around as I've explained. Sometimes of course this activity is out front and understood and everybody gets to feel good by contributing to something. Sometimes the scope of the assigned projects is so large this can not occur misleading the student body to presume they are a part of something big. As a Nazi architect once said "the devil is in the details" which is where the developers and politicians are looking for the free design work coming from the student body and these people operating the schools are no dummies but they are corrupt and dishonest.

Worse yet, if you had the best proposal and an outrageously pertinent design concept your work will be stolen and their favored student or one of the h*mo interns already working will be given your work to develop and he or she will then use that stolen work to build their career upon as you sit around none the wiser slapping yourself in the face trying to stay awake at four o'clock in the morning when trying to pull an all-nighter they will impose on you several times throughout your junior and senior year during both undergrad and master programs.

One day you will be walking somewhere and discover your proposed design was built right under your very nose right down to the vaery nature of the design concept shamelessly replicated by the thieves. (There is much to learn about the tricks and pitfalls of architectural copyright starting with the fact that you can do no work using anything the school provides -- not even a piece of paper -- all of your work you expect to protect MUST be done using your own resources). This type of corruption has occurred to me twice. If I had to choose all over again and if I had the newsgroups available to me which were not available when I made a similar decision you are now considering and if I had a guy like me putting the cards on the table I would recall what I once learned from one of my former mentors who consitently reminded me to think twice and cut once.

Good luck, you are going to need luck and lots of it, as there is absolutely no way to win a fixed game I've ever been able to learn unless somebody decides you are the wild card they want in their deck.

I am considering architecture school after an eight year career in

Reply to
clintonG

I keep having to killfile Clinton wherever I go on the Usenet because of this sort of stuff...

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

discourage you but to inform.

Why do you feel the need to do it, or announce it right underneath ClintonG's post if you do, though?

Reply to
Warm Worm

to discourage you but to inform.

Why ask why? Does he win valuable points if he responds to your RFJ - Request For Justification?

RicodJour

Know all men by these presents: If any of you others think it's just keen to engage in tomfoolery, Michael Bulatovich will NOT be reading your posts. So please, dispense with the chacanery.

Reply to
Secretia Green

to discourage you but to inform.

Why-- (along with who, what, where, when or how)-- is asked for many different reasons, not all being about a RFJ-- although that can be part of it. As you know, questions can be about finding the truth (say, amid religious dogma, or panderings to consensus), or confirming a hypothesis, or establishing something to get to a premise, etc.

While I understand that sometimes the truth and questions-- and asking them-- can be difficult, in this regard, I conveniently refer to your own post about the woman in the video, and about a comment (yours?) made about something to the effect of hoping she has an unlisted number. ;D

With regard to clintonG, I seem to recall Michael expressing some items related to life being short; classes of certain people; wasting time; and giving up, so my question almost asked itself. ;)

Reply to
Señor Popcorn

See Secretia's subsequent serifed summation.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

I'd bet that you'd have had 'Ahmed Ouahi, Architect', plonked before he could say "Infidel dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" or whatever. :)

As for Ahmed, and missing things; "Google is your friend".

Reply to
Señor Popcorn

Thanks. I did, and you're right, he wouldn't have lasted long.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Or you wouldn't have lasted long. ;) Ahmed lasted quite awhile.

I've yet to plonk anyone and probably never will, BTW, in part because I have my doubts that it works (such as if someone unplonked quotes someone plonked), unless, perhaps, we're talking about other motives of course.

Reply to
Warm Worm

Or you wouldn't have lasted long. ;) Ahmed lasted quite awhile.

I've yet to plonk anyone and probably never will, BTW, in part because I have my doubts that it works (such as if someone unplonked quotes someone plonked), unless, perhaps, we're talking about other motives of course.

It "works" to a limited extent. Still, it unclutters the screen a bit. The quotes are a minor reflux, but you can make "rules" if it tastes really bad.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Or you wouldn't have lasted long. ;) Ahmed lasted quite awhile.

I've yet to plonk anyone and probably never will, BTW, in part because I have my doubts that it works (such as if someone unplonked quotes someone plonked), unless, perhaps, we're talking about other motives of course.

And of course it doesn't, you'll always see the things that someone replies to if the replyee is not plonked. So basically plonking will do nothing more than if you were to just not read their posts. I just basically set a few people who I probably would never be read to be marked as read immediately.

Reply to
Edgar

Hi,

It really does depend on the school/program you are applying to... gear your work towards the programs interest... or show your strengths that can be translated clearly into architectural design.

My two cent,

Nan, MArch 98' Virginia Tech

Reply to
Artist

Nothing more so to speak, unless we're talking psychology. ;)

marked as read

Why would you want to do that?

Reply to
Señor Popcorn

It said "successfully posted" or some such. But I don't see it. Up to the web, in case it never shows here...

gruhn