sources for "old school" tools

The other day I got an auction site in my social media feed. Lots of old tools. "Ook, ook, me want!"

But these are being sold as collectibles and for "collectors", which is cool and groovey, but ... I'm looking for tools I can use. On the other hand, I see tools I didn't know I wanted until I see the picture. E.G., "Stair rabbet saw" - which could also be a "kerf cutter" for ripping timbers /lumber. And similar old school tools which put the "work" into "woodworking". (After using the hand tools, you understand why power tools were invented. But I digress.)

Like a lot of these things - I could make one, but who has the time?

So, recommendations for sources for similar hand tools? Or parts?

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Flea markets and antique stores have been my go-to. Just picked up a nice Stanley Bailey #2 at a local antique store for $25. Felt guilty and gave the dealer an additional $20 since the plane is worth far more than that on the collectors market and it cleaned up nicely.

Pete Neiderberger advertises in fine woodworking, and Pat Leach

I've purchased from both.

Scott Lurndal

Is this a stair rabbet saw ?

I've never seen one.

I don't know of a single source for vintage tools - just the usual - auction sales ; facebook buy & sell ; and online classified ad sites < Craigs list, Kijiji >

Flea Markets usually have some. John T.

Reply to
hubops

On Mar 23, 2023, pyotr filipivich wrote (in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com):

I’m fortunate to live in an area where, on any nice spring/summer weekend, there are an abundance of yard sales.

When I stop at one I always ask if they have any old tools for sale. If their answer is “No” I can use it as an excuse to walk away without spending any money, If their answer is “Yes”, you never know what they might produce.

I have gotten some good buys over the years, eg. Rigid pipe threaders, braces, auger bits, vernier calipers, Yankee screwdrivers, and the list goes on 😁

It never hurts to ask...

Joe

Reply to
Just Another Joe

Will check them out.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.com on Thu, 23 Mar 2023 11:50:21 -0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Yes, that's the thing itself.

I may have seen one years ago, but didn't know what it was.

As I figured. Sigh.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

It would be pretty straightforward to make one from a length of

1 1/2 or 2" bandsaw blade.
Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I think I still have a piece of that... somewhere.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

On, another note Scott. How are you doing with all the wild weather that your state is getting. Obviously pretty bad "in spots" but the news tends to focus on the worst and leave out the 98% that is going fine. Hope you and yours are not in harms way.

Reply to
Leon

I am

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Don't know what happened to the rest of the post. Sigh, suffice it to say that it's has been cold and wet, wet and more wet. Heavy winds, multiple power outages, road closures for landslides, lines down, potholes, reservoirs spilling, floods. Really tired of rain.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

There is an auction house that specialized in "old school tools" (I will look them up for you if you are interested). IIRC, they are located out east, but they travel a bit. They post all of their "stuff" online, and even publish a catalog. I visited them when they held their auction at a motel in Indianpolis (I think they do this once a year). One issue is that with 150 tool "collectors" in a room (not counting those online), 99% of things do not sell for prices one might consider attractive. I bought a set of 6 miscellaneous molding planes for $40, just so I didn't have to come home "empty handed". In short, there is still interest out there for "old school tools".

Reply to
Bill

Here is a link:

IIRC, they are located out

Reply to
Bill

Interesting auction site - thanks for sharing. Their past auctions are available to see some selling prices -

- 1 item I noticed was a Lee Valley plane sold for $ 120 new one is $ 270. < $ 335. in Canada >

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Oh yes. But how many are as Collectors, and how many as Users?

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Yep, that's the outfit I was looking at.

It was where I found the reference to "stair rabbet saw" (or whatever it was.

What I found difficult to locate was information on where the auctions are held, and if I am not there, how do I get my prize to "here".

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I'd guess that the person who paid $ 4600.00 for an old incline-level is a collector ... with deep pockets ! :-) .. the person who paid $ 120. for a Lee Valley bench plane is a user. The auction link that was posted makes their past sales avilable so you can check the selling prices. As at all auctions - _you_ set _your_ price. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Click on an active auction - there is a link for "Auction Terms" that describes the 15 % buyer premium and some other details but I didn't see any shipping services ? But I suspect it's somewhere in their info .. Perhaps you need to register first ? John T.

Reply to
hubops

I can relate! 6 years ago this August we had the remnants of a Hurricane Harvey. It hit south east of us and moved up the Texas coast to Houston. It began raining for us on a Friday and by Monday we has received 52" of rain. There is Barker reservoir about 1 mile north of where we live and that area has tens of thousands of homes, expensive homes. Probably half of those homes had 2'~3' inside for a few weeks.

Good luck!

Reply to
Leon