OT: Old School Drywaller

The lath & plaster video after it is pretty good too. My sheetrock looks like a mess. This is amazing. Lots of mud winds up on the floor, though.

Reply to
krw

The curved archway drywall was particularly impressive. I have one of those drywall hatchets somewhere... I ought to learn how to use it. That looks far more efficient than the modern method of hanging it.

Reply to
Michael Trew

Far more efficient than 4 x 8, 4 x 12 or 4 x 16 sheets? I think not.

There's an awful lot of mudding that they didn't show. Way too many seams.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I don't think that's "sheetrock" rather lathe for the plaster. I

*think* the idea is to squeeze the plaster through the seams to hold it. OTOH, the next video shows holes in the sheets.
Reply to
krw

There is also drywall sheets of 4.5' and 5' widths. In the usual 8, 10, 12, 16 foot lengths. They make drywalling as efficient as possible. 8', 9', 10' ceiling heights. Two sheets will cover it.

Reply to
russellseaton1

I know and old electrician/developer/commercial property manager who covered the floors in the house he was building with roofing paper during construction. Well, it was probably 1/3 tape. The very last thing done was the floors. When he was ready to do the floors he ripped up all the paper and there was pristeen concrete ready for the flooring. The paper more than half filled a large roll off construction dumpster. (big house)

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I've done that with Rosen paper... and if there are finished floors there is a cardboard product that comes in rolls that offers some dent protection too. A recent renovation I visited while in process had Ram Board covering the floors.

John Grossbohlin

Years ago my local Sam's Club allowed me to collect dozens of cardboard dividers used to separate certain products stacked on pallets. Taped together they protected the clients flooring during tearout, drywall replacement, painting, and general foot traffic.

Dave in SoTex

Reply to
Dave in SoTex

For some reason I don't see those cardboard boxes anymore.

Reply to
Leon

Just to be clear, the cardboard pieces were individual,flat, pallet sized sheets. Picture a pallet with three or four levels of paper towels or toilet or somesuch with a cardboard sheet between each level. Perhaps my timing was just lucky such that I was able to access as many exposed pieces as I did. Only recall doing it the one time.

Dave in SoTex

Reply to
Dave in SoTex

We used to staple those cardboard squares (heavy tagboard, really) to the inner walls of railroad boxcars to protect the bags of cornstarch we were loading.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

A few months ago I bought a 4 x 8 sheet of that white bumpy plastic wall board, typically used for cheap bathroom upgrades. This stuff:

While in HD, I cut it in half (4x4) to make it easier to get it into my van. As it turned out, the material wasn't going to work for the project I had in mind (heavy duty shelf liner) so it's been sitting in my garage.

A few weeks ago the town had to come into my house to fix a drain issue and needed access to the clean out in my basement bathroom. Suspecting that they were going to make a mess on the floor with their camera, snake and other equipment, I trimmed the plastic wallboard to fit the area where they needed to work and laid it down, smooth side up.

I was right, they made a mess, but clean up was as easy as carrying the pieces outside and hosing them off. This process was repeated when they came back a week later to install a CIPP sleeve. Again, cleanup was a breeze.

Now I have to decide whether to hang onto it or toss it. It would probably make a good surface for large glue-ups, painting projects, etc.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Toss it? I was thinking of starting a GoFundMe page to buy a sheet of plywood.

Reply to
krw

... just can't have any good clean fun, at the jobsite, any more :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Humor is dead. I wouldn't want to be a professional comedian these days.

Reply to
krw