(old) Media player - diagnosis ...

Back in 2010, I got a Cyclone media player (no HDD, but USB/Wifi).

Worked fine. I did upgrade the firmware and the version I got was expecting a HDD, so powerup was a game of "catching" it when it prompted to connect the HDD and say "no". Otherwise it would reboot forever.

Anyway, one day it just "stopped working". By then it wasn't such an issue as the TV can play (some) media files via USB/Wifi.

Having an hour to kill yesterday, and coming across the carefully stored player, I tried again.

When connected via HDMI and/or composite, the TV seems to "know" there is an input. The power light on the player responds as it always did (and to the remote). However, the screen remains dark.

I was hoping having dug out an AV lead and component->SCART adapter that I'd find it had dropped back to non-HDMI mode, and I could access the menu and set the video out to be HDMI. However, no dice.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Is it *really* worth trying to repair media tech of that age? (Other than as a serious intellectual challenge).

Reply to
newshound

Not really ...

But if it's not "broken", it was worth a punt ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk