Dominos - Is There Side-To-Side Slop Like With Biscuits?

I don't know if any of you are familiar with the "Insider Carpentry" channel on YouTube. Spencer Lewis does carpentry for high end homes and offers tips on how to be efficient in an effort to make the most of your time. You know, the whole "time is money" thing.

In the following video he uses both Dominos (and Lamello Clamex connectors) to make 10' sides for some bookcases. As far as I can tell, he cuts the same size mortise in both boards (~4:30) but then he goes on to show how he uses clamps to line up the boards so that the side edges are flush. (~7:33).

So here's my question: Is there side-to-side slop in *all* Domino usage and Leon's method just gives you more adjustment room or is Spencer using oversize holes in both boards? (I've always assumed that the standard Domino mortise would result in tight tenon, with no movement.)

Just curious...

Reply to
DerbyDad03