Building cupboards and shelves

Hi All,

I am looking to fit out our study and have a design that has some cupboards/ chest of drawers at the bottom with shelving above - a bit like this

I am planning on making the shelving bits myself but am toying between buying kitchen cupboard type units for the cupboards/ drawers and making them myself out of the same material I use for the shelves. It will all be painted so I guess it is a balance between aggravation, time and cost.

Would appreciate any thoughts you have on the matter :)

Also, what would be the best material to make it out of and what thickness?

Thanks

Lee.

Reply to
leen...

Kitchen cupboards will be too high to sit at to work unless you have an office chair that will rise to the appropriate height. Melamine which forms the outer surface of most kitchen cupboards is not good to paint on, easily rubs off.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Would he not put a worktop over that though? I guess it depends on what the look he was going for was. I'm sure I've seen cupboard units that are shorter out there as flatpacks, but as you say if its going to be painted, the surfaces might not take the paint well. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Ah, 'fancy', I'm out. ;-)

I'm not sure you will. ;-)

As a utilitarian and sharing my life with a practical friend and not someone who 'should be obeyed', we love the flexibility you get from slotted uprights and shelves (for the shelving facet anyway).

If I was fitting out a study type room for me (so not considering what anyone other than us would think of it), I'd start with floor to ceiling slotted uprights anywhere it would be likely to have shelves or a worktop etc.

For the shelves, straight Contiboard for light loads or tongue-n-groove floorboards that can be glued together for wider shelves and with the tongues cut off the front shelf (and glued in the rear groove IYCBA) are very very strong (no sag) and when sanded and not painted, need little in the way of maintenance, no matter how rough you treat them.

Need to fit something a different size, add a shelf or take one away, you can, along with being able to move them up or down. ;-)

Any 'fitted' cupboards I've often just used Contiboard again and even fitted the slotted shelving system inside. This solution has taken both shelves or hanging rails.

Not sure any of the above would be acceptable in the show houses of today though. The houses where people exist and not live. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

That's ok, although the shelves look a little "heavy" (visually) compared to the rest. The shaker style is also about the easiest thing you can make, while being solid with clean lines.

I did a few doors like that for our utility room - made from 3x1 softwood and 9mm MDF:

Very quick to make on a table saw or on a router table.

To be fair I have done both...

From scratch:

Both those were basically just boxes built from sheet materials and made pretty with a face frame. The raised panel doors and drawer fronts being around 19 - 22mm thick

This one was similar, but going a bit more light weight (about as light as you can go really for the size). Here the same thickness frames, but only 6mm ply for the panels.

I have also tried the "cheat" approach with ikea chests of drawers as a base:

The latter is certainly quicker, although you don't get as much control over the look of the end result.

What tooling, space have to got available to build in?

Once things I found with big projects like those, is its easy enough the make the bits, but test assembly and fit can be difficult if workshop space is at a premium.

I have found 1/2" ply for drawer boxes and unit backs is fine. 3/4" ply or MDF for cabinet sides, Softwood "structural" ply is nice to work, but lacks the flatness of traditional WBP ply. MDF raised panels are ok, and dimensionally stable, although take more effort to prime and paint if you want them to look good.

Reply to
John Rumm

Also worth checking softwood window boards - readily available from most builders merchants etc:

Having said that, for most applications I find 3/4" ply with a softwood lipping is usually pretty good at not sagging so long as the shelf is

10" deep or so.

You can get much the same adjustment versatility using those brass/silver inset shelf support strips:

Which look a bit less industrial when included in furniture.

Reply to
John Rumm

You will also need room for your knees.

Reply to
charles

Any idea how they compare on price though john. Being 'only' floorboards they seemed to be much cheaper /sq/m than buying the same for any other role. Like buying anything for golf, fishing or disability / medical where they seem to ramp the prices up.

Sure, but that's (the nosing) probably a step too far for most people.

When the horrible (inherited) chipboard cubbyhole unit fell off the wall of my mates PC shop and de-assembled itself on the floor, he called me to help me put it back together and up on the wall again. I refused and long short, we fitted slotted shelving instead and before long we had done the entire shop. He's since retired but the shelving is still there and has taken all sorts of things it was never designed for. ;-)

<snip>

Well, true, but assumes you have / want a 'unit' to fit them in?

Funnily though, I have a 90cm wide x 140cm high space over a post-formed-edged worktop (on battens on the three sides) that is over the WM and (currently) supporting the TD.

We have a mini freezer ready to replace the TD and want to make use of the extra space above the freezer but ... it has to be easily removable to give access to the roofspace above.

So, given there is some electrical trunking one side and pipes at the other, I was thinking of just using some slotted shelving either side, some of the shortest shelf brackets carrying a couple of battens (per level, like your inserts) and then I could use T+G floorboard screwed to the battens. Easy to cut / make, very flexible, dismountable, strong and cheap.

I would prefer to used some post formed edge worktop but it would be a bit more to handle, cut and fit, especially when doing it all in the kitchen / utility area (as it's bound to be raining every time I try to do it in the back garden).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I've used 100x20cm timberboard in alcoves, support only at the edges, from Wickes for bookshelves. Been up several years and no signs of sagging.

Cheers, Rob

Reply to
RJH

I built my kitchen unit and cupboard doors which look a little like those in the picture, 9mm MDF with 9mm for the "frame" just glued on. I mostly used "off the shelf" base units but had to build a few units to fit the space neatly. I used 18 mm plywood for that, biscuit jointed. One thing you *must* make first if you are building from sheet is a sawboard, or even better a pair of them, 4 foot and 8 foot. I made mine from 9mm plywood. These save an unbelievable amount of time because you can cut everything straight to size with accuracy better than 1mm. Next to no post-cut fettling. You need a reasonable blade on your circular saw. I only have a cheap biscuit cutter, if I'd known how useful it would be I would probably have bought a more expensive one but I'm managing fine.

While MDF is fine for doors, I prefer plywood for more structural stuff although I do have a fitted bookcase which is all 18mm MDF (but designed for paperbacks, so relatively shallow shelves, and not too much distance between "uprights).

Reply to
newshound

If you want the the extra thickness and depth you get with a windows board (they are usually a nominal 9x1" before planing) then they are not dissimilar in price per unit volume when compared to floorboards.

(scaffold boards can also be another good cheap source of "heavy" timber)

Depends on how much you like the visible edge of ply... If painting you could probably cover it. The win with nosing is that it can then be routed for a more attractive edge, and also can be made deeper than the shelf if going for a heavier looking shelf.

The "worktop" on this is only 19mm MDF - but the nosing is deeper, and also wide enough to allow the 50mm radius on the corners.

It's not difficult to buy a strip of software trim to glue on (or in my case I rip a bit off a wider board, glue and pin and then router flush and profile)

Yup the spur clone stuff is very sturdy and I quite like it for some applications. I would not usually use it in furniture though.

Well it is what the OP was suggesting...

Reply to
John Rumm

snip

+1. I've got a 1m aluminium clamping sawboard from Aldi, and use it a lot with a circular saw. A straight edge clamped does me for longer lengths.
Reply to
RJH

Thanks very much all. Unfortunately in the Google groups UI I can't reply to individual threads so thought I would consolidate my reply to all the points made together - hope this is readable.

  1. Regarding kitchen cupboards being too high. I believe the standard carcass is 720mm so was thinking of putting it on say a 2" x 2" on the floor to give a small "plinth"

  1. Thanks re comments on painting on melamine. We have done this successfully once before but it didn't get much wear so might not be a good reflection.

  2. Thanks John for your various links - I can only hope mine are half as good as these :). Couple of questions if I may a. Did you create the shaker doors by using 3" x 1" to make the surround and then router a groove in the back to then put the 9mm MDF? I was thinking of using (say) 18mm ply for the door and then pin/ glue some thin ply/ MDF to the front to make the shaker surround. Did this for a bath surround but would appreciate thoughts on this for doors. Any top tips newshound (e.g. finishing the edges so you don't see the 2 pieces) as seems like you have done a similar thing although my "add on" bits were more like 3mm b. The drawers on the media centre look amazing. Not sure my skills are good enough for this and I don't have the tools. Any simpler methods to make them? The slide out section for the AV gear is inspired :)

  1. In terms of tools I have....

- Track saw (i.e. one of those circular saws that run on a metal track for doing straight cuts)

- Router (although haven't managed to get it to do anything useful yet)

- A table gadget which enables you to make a table saw/ router by fixing a normal router/ circular saw to it. Not very professional but seems to work (ish)

- Regular circular saw

- Chop saw

- Drills

- air compressor and nail gun

- biscuit cutter although never used it!

- good selection of hand tools etc.

  1. John - you mention "It's not difficult to buy a strip of software trim to glue on". Assume the word software is a typo? What trim are you referring to?

Thanks again for all your thoughts/ suggestions

Lee.

Reply to
leen...

Ah -

RJH

That's only a saw guide though, and only metric 4 feet long. The cutting line is offset from the edge of the guide. A sawboard is like this, but with a "base-plate", when you make it you make this over-size and then trim it, with your circular saw, so that it exactly matches the saw. So, to use it you mark out the *exact* position where you want the cut on your work. And you clamp the sawboard on the required material, not on the offcut. So you get a straight cut exactly where you need it. The baseplate also helps to prevent splitting/delamination of plywood on the emerging side of the cut. Oh, and when making a sawboard use one of the as-sawn edges for your saw guide, that way the final cut will be dead straight. If you are working with full 8x4 sheets you really need an 8 foot board as well. (On the rare occasions when you are making a diagonal cut more than 8 feet long I have always found you can still get a near-perfect result by cutting twice with a repositioned board).

Reply to
newshound

Hi Rob,

Haven't see those before but look very handy. The track saw I have is one of these

The table thing which allows you to attach a normal circular saw/ router to and make it like a table saw is one of these

thanks

Lee.

Reply to
leen...

OK that looks as though the saw cuts right to the edge of the table.

Reply to
newshound

That pic seems to have gone - but the saw/track idea looks to be a better solution all round.

Reply to
RJH

Thanks, yes, I did make one, but had an incursion accident and ruined it. For my purposes/skill level keeping the blade away from the guide/board is the way to go . . .

Nowadays I just use a 2m length of timber for longer cuts and clamp it to whatever I'm cutting. Trimmed 2mm off a door recently - perfect cut.

I take your points on the limitations of the Lidl guide. All I can say is it's done me fine. If it was my livelihood I'd invest in a proper track/saw arrangement.

Reply to
RJH
<snip>

'SoftWOOD'. ;-)