What am I looking for?

This is not really a woodworking question but the range of knowledge in this
group gives me confidence that someone here will know the product I'm
looking for. I have an existing ceiling that I want to cover. Somewhere I
read of a product to do this. It was somewhat along the line of a suspended
ceiling but attached directly to existing sheetrock and only lowered the
ceiling height by an inch or two. Does this ring a bell to someone and could
you give me some pointers as to what to look for? Thanks for your time.
Reply to
CW
"I have an existing ceiling that I want to cover . . ." ". . . attached directly to existing sheetrock "
"Why?" is the first question that comes to mind.
"Why not," quickly follows, "replace the drywall?"
"What is the objective," or "final result / "look" you are trying to achieve?" follows on quickly
> This is not really a woodworking question but the range of knowledge in > this > group gives me confidence that someone here will know the product I'm > looking for. I have an existing ceiling that I want to cover. Somewhere I > read of a product to do this. It was somewhat along the line of a > suspended > ceiling but attached directly to existing sheetrock and only lowered the > ceiling height by an inch or two. Does this ring a bell to someone and > could > you give me some pointers as to what to look for? Thanks for your time. > >
Reply to
Gooey TARBALLS
Yes though I was thinking it was planks somewhat like a laminate floor. I did just now find it at Lowes. They call it, of all things, ceiling planks. :) Thanks for the help. I'll look into the tile too. There is nothing structurally wrong with the existing ceiling except some dumba** blew on popcorn. Rather than go trough the process of refinishing, I am looking at alternatives.
> Sounds like ordinary ceiling tile. Staples or glues directly to either a > ceiling in sound shape or lath strips if the ceiling is in dodgy physical > condition.
Reply to
CW
That's exactly what I was thinking of. Knew you guys would come through, Thanks.
Reply to
CW
"Gooey TARBALLS" wrote in message
It occurs to me that it might be useful for running something such as speaker wires across a room when the alternative is to have them open snaking around a room possibly across a door entrance or eliminating the effort to bury them in the wall somewhere.
Reply to
Upscale
Sounds like ordinary ceiling tile. Staples or glues directly to either a ceiling in sound shape or lath strips if the ceiling is in dodgy physical condition.
Reply to
replyonline
"dumba** blew on popcorn"
Texturing like popcorn is used to hide small defects in the drywall ceiling. Its cheaper to finish that way.
Have you priced a professional refinishing job?
Good idea to establish that cost as a base to compare alternatives to.
Reply to
Gooey TARBALLS
and Ceiling Tile Systems by Armstrong: Ceiling Selector Plank Ceilings
a.. Attach directly to existing ceiling b.. Available in 6" x 48", 5" x 78" or 5" x 84" tongue-and-groove designs c.. No grid system, resulting in a cleaner look d.. Virtually no loss in ceiling height
Installing Plank Ceilings
can be installed with furring strips, directly to your current ceiling, or using the Armstrong Easy-Up® Installation Kit.
> This is not really a woodworking question but the range of knowledge in > this > group gives me confidence that someone here will know the product I'm > looking for. I have an existing ceiling that I want to cover. Somewhere I > read of a product to do this. It was somewhat along the line of a > suspended > ceiling but attached directly to existing sheetrock and only lowered the > ceiling height by an inch or two. Does this ring a bell to someone and > could > you give me some pointers as to what to look for? Thanks for your time. > >
Reply to
Gooey TARBALLS
Useful links. Thanks.
Ceilings and Ceiling Tile Systems by Armstrong: Ceiling Selector > Plank Ceilings
Reply to
CW
> This is not really a woodworking question but the range of knowledge in > this > group gives me confidence that someone here will know the product I'm > looking for. I have an existing ceiling that I want to cover. Somewhere I > read of a product to do this. It was somewhat along the line of a > suspended > ceiling but attached directly to existing sheetrock and only lowered the > ceiling height by an inch or two. Does this ring a bell to someone and > could > you give me some pointers as to what to look for? Thanks for your time. > >
Reply to
Bruce T
"I recently ordered Armstrong ceiling planks. Soon to be installed." =95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95= =95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95=95= =95=95=95=95Just like the corner pool hall
Reply to
RM MS

Site Timeline Threads