What am I looking for?

OK, this is a long shot....
I'm trying to find the proper name for a plant that I saw some time ago...
It was called a "chinese dragon plant" but alas Google has not heard of
any such plant.
It was a hedge type plant, perhaps 2-3 feet high. I don't recall what
the leaves, if any, looked like.
Its most prominent features were the thorns. It sprouted an evil
looking, curved thorn about 1" or 1 1/2" long every few inches of stem.
When it did, the stem bent sharply in an apparently random direction.
I was told this plant was grown in China as a protective hedge, and from
its wicked appearance, I believe it.
In spite of its ferocious nature it was very graceful and I would love
to get one, but I can't find it....
Does anyone have any ideas on what it might be?
Reply to
CptDondo
Your description reminds me a plant I've heard called a 'geometry tree' or a 'zigzag plant'. Try a search for decaryia madagascariensis and see if that's what you're looking for.
Tracey
Reply to
Tracey
Try a search with "Poncirus trifoliata Flying Dragon" and see if that's what you're looking for. Commonly used as a dwarfing rootstock for citrus, it also is a stunningly thorny ornamental and is naturalized in some areas. Hardy to below 0, it is well suited for many climates. Hope this helps,
Reply to
Elizabeth
That's it!
I must have seen it in its winter state... I don't recall the leaves or fruit at all.
Thanks!
--Yan
Reply to
CptDondo
Now you know why I want one.... I've been missing my madagascar palm and I want something else weird and wild....
Here's a pic from OSU.... :-)
Reply to
CptDondo

Site Timeline Threads

  • I have just joined this group so I don't know whether this subject has been...

    Garden