What kind of cactus?

Many years ago, I remember seeing cacti in the high plains of Colorado (or maybe it was northern New Mexico or the Texas panhandle) that had big purpley-red flowers -- I think they were double or semidouble flowers. Some of them that otherwise looked identical had much less showy yellow flowers. The cactus were upright, many-branched, and had long thorns. I believe they were a variety of cholla.

On recent visits to that area, I can only find a few yellow-flowered cacti, execpt for 1 red plant that I saw in a bed in a national park (and didn't think it would be a good idea to pinch off a piece.) Is this enough information to identify which species it was?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

from google

is a list of some Cholla that grow in Colorado

Charles

's the one. Thanks! I wonder how much protection it would need to grow in southern Minnesota?

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

>That's the one. Thanks! I wonder how much protection it would need to

I would guess that it gets rather cold at 7000 feet in Colorado, but I don't really know. I would also guess that the problem would be keeping it dry while it is cold, but I don't really know that either.

TREE CHOLLA Opuntia imbricata

Green and somewhat spineless, this cholla resembles the Cane Cholla, which also turns purplish in colder weather. Prevalent in desert flats, and in Pinyon and Juniper stands.

Desert: Chihuahuan Desert of New Mexico and Texas north to semi-desert areas of eastern Colorado and western Oklahoma. Height: Up to 7 feet Joints: Very fat with tubercles Flowers: Deep lavender to red Fruit: 2-inch-long, yellow, oval Elevation: 2,000 -7,000 feet

Reply to
Charles