I am looking for a tape that does not leave a mess

Hi All,

To my horror I have found that my Whynter dual hose ARC-14S Portable Air Conditioner sucks 80% of what is suppose to be outside air from inside my house. This means I am sucking in smoke and soot from California's fires that have darkened our skies into our house through the various holes in our house: four fan vents, etc..

This is the grill work right under the outside air inlet.

Anyone know of a tape I can put across these idiot slots/holes that won't leave a mess as it ages?

Many thanks,

-T

Buy the way, this is what replacement ARC-14SH back panel looks like:

Way, Way big difference!!!!

The manufacturers web site seems to say that there is a "charcoal filter" .. uh huh ..

This unit is rated " Best Portable AC " by their web site.

' nuff said.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

What in the world does that have to do with tape?

By the way, I adore the unit, other than this issue. I can see where it gets good ratings.

Hope spring eternal!

Hi john,

You mixed up the inside cooling section (Evaporator) with Condenser and its two air hoses. The "Charcoal" filter is part of the evaporator's inlet and is located well above the condenser's two outside hoses. I have annotated these sections for you in the following:

The condenser's inlet air hose shares the same cavity as all those slots I showed you in

and the slots also sucks air in from the room, which sucks "Burn California" into my house. About 80% from the room and 20% from outside. Blocking the slots with sticky saran wrap DOES not change the volume of air out the condenser's hot air outlet.

So to repeat my question, does anyone know of a tape I can put across these idiot slots to the condenser's inlet cavity that will not make a mess as it ages?

Many thanks,

-T

Believe it or not, Consumer Reports doesn't agree. The top rated is Frigidaire Gallery GHPC132AB1. Score 71. $574 Next is Frigidaire FHPC132AB1. Score. 69. $474 There are a couple Whynter units. The best one scores 64. The models don't match the OPs.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

There was a discussion about tape recently but I don't remember which heading it was under. Could you put a single piece of plastic sheeting over the vents then wrap something completely around the unit to hold it? Twine, bungee cords ??

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

... as it ages ... how long ? I use plastic hockey-pad tape to seal the small seams around my window AC - - to keep out the tiny bugs - - it works very well for 1 summer - - it peels off very easy - gum-free - every autumn -

- from the AC and from the vinyl windows - < I just removed my window AC today - 15 minute job >

but if the tape was left for 2 or 3 years - maybe not.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

years

Thank you!

I has hoping for something a little more air proof. When the wind blows, it goes in the condenser's inlet tube and blows right out into the room.

.. no problem. Don't spread the word about that hockey pad tape - it will send the price up .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Finally. My memory kicked in. Check sci.electronics.design Look for non tacky tape in a title.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

My ARC-14S is 11 years old. I have to take the back off and vacuum out the condenser's coils. (I had to order an 18" Phillips to remote four of the screws). I do like the unit. Well other than the condenser's inlet sucking in room air.

Isn't AC season over?

Put a piece of plastic or wood over the slots and then you only have to tape that in place. Or is that what you meant?

Reply to
micky

Depends where you live. Mine is running right now to get to my nighttime sleeping temperature. It was 90 today and will be for the rest of the week.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Not is these parts. And my second unit is a heat pump: the one with the tiny slot

The surface is curved

Plastic sheeting bends

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I thought units like that recirculated air. Where is the out vent? If there really is one, block that not your needed cooling vents for the main unit.

Reply to
Thomas

Use a towel in place of the plastic or wood.

Reply to
micky

Air leaks?

I am going to first try Hobs' hockey tape