Electronic vs media filters?

The media filters have a higher resistance to air flow than the electronic air cleaners. The electronic air cleaners generally need washed once per month for maximum performance. If you have a powerful enough blower, the media filter may be fine. It also depends on how accessible the filter is. Not enough information to make a decision.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

I clean my electronic filter in the dishwasher, super easy.

If your crawlspce is not user friendly maybe you could install it somewhere in the return are duct?

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Hi Gang,

I have a heat pump with a Honeywell F35F media air filter. This filter is convertable to an F50 electronic filter.

I pay $65.00 for the media filters which last a year. The F50 electronic filter upgrade would cost about $550.00.

Should I make the switch? Would I notice an improvement in air quality?

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks, Gary

Please remove XXX in email address if email reply is desired.

Reply to
G Mulcaster

Thanks Stretch,

Yes, the cleaning would be a hassle. My crawl space is not user friendly!

Not sure about the air flow resistance in my installation. Except to say the whole system was professionally installed. I suppose one could make a case that my variable speed air handler would have a longer life with less resistance.

Cheers, Gary

Please remove XXX in email address if email reply is desired.

Reply to
G Mulcaster

Wanna buy my electronic filter? I don't use them. Cleaning them is miserable. The disposables are fine; thought I change them twice a year.

Reply to
Toller

Gary,

Since you have a variable speed blower, pressure drop in the filter should not be a problem. VS blowers have higher pressure capacity and will speed up as the filter becomes restricted from getting dirty. Also, the VS blowers are more efficient than standard blower motors. You made a good choice to go with a variable speed blower. The media filter should be fine for most applications unless you have very extreme alergies. Also, I have found the doors on some electronic air cleaners leak, not a good thing when installed in a crawlspace.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

I am a believer in the electrostatic cleaners, but I have BOTH types in my system. The "paper" catches the bigger particles first, then the air goes through the electronic one to take out all the tiny stuff.

I generally take out the paper one every month, and blow out the worst of the mess, and pop it back in, and they go for years before finally needing replacement.

( I actually have two "paper" filters so one is always ready to go in, while I take my time clean the other)

Each type of filter, has advantages and disadvantages.

While electrostatic are easily FULLY cleanable so cost nothing for filters, and catch even microscopic little beasties, they only filter a percentage of stuff each time through. You have to make sure the airflow does not go through too fast, or they catch almost nothing and are worthless.

Also electrostatic filters efficiency decreases quickly as the get dirty, so require constant cleaning. and get "bug zapper" syndrome if you leave them too long.

Paper filters get more efficient as they load up. Until they get SO EFFICIENT even the air won't go through.

Then you have to factor in cost of possible maintenance in future.

Electrostatics while generally problem free, can be expensive to repair, to replace a defective transformer, or shorted plate assembly damaged while cleaning. ( the latter probably accounts for 99% of problems)

The worst you get with paper media is the cost of a new filter.

Just some thoughts here for you to consider what is best for YOU.

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

You must have a better dishwasher than me. It takes me two loads, and I have to take the top rack out.

Reply to
Toller

Thanks everyone. Your responses were very helpful. I'm going to stick with the media filters for now.

Regards, Gary Please remove XXX in email address if email reply is desired.

Reply to
G Mulcaster