Makita 2030 Planer - change belt?

Hi folks,

I have a Makita 2030 planer. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to change the drive belt?

Thanks. Gary Please remove XXX in email address if email reply is desired.

Reply to
G Mulcaster

If you don't have it, the owner's manual is available on line.

or

lists are also available on line. Go to

enter the model number.

I havent't checked it out to see if it answers your question.

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

Thanks Luigi,

I've printed the parts diagrams for both planers. I have to go over them with a magnifying glass; however, they look to have separate shafts for the jointer and the planer. Mine is a 2030 with no letter designator such as S or N. I suspect it predates the planers shown on the Makita web site. Indeed, it's design is somewhat different.

Mine seems to have a single shaft common to both functions. And, of course, the belt is between the two :(

Anyway, the site turned up a Vancouver distributor. I will give them a call.

I also went to see a pro woodworker for advise and he gave me a couple tips wrt his 2040 planer:

If you can move the plastic feed rollers up and down slightly, the bearings are worn. Replace immediately - otherwise the rollers will get wonky.

If your plastic feed rollers wear; that is, get groves in them from prolonged use, lower the table, start the planer and use an angle grinder to lathe off enough material to make the rollers smooth again. (This would take courage!)

Regards, Gary