Makita 2030 Planer-Jointer question

Hi folks,

I have a Makita 2030 Planer-Jointer and the jointer infeed table needs adjusting.

Does anyone know how to adjust these? No luck at the Makita manuals download site.

Thanks for any help.

Regards, Gary

Reply to
G Mulcaster

The site has the 2030N manual

it shows the adjustment knob in Fig 27 and on the parts breakdown on page 23. Look for some kind of screw lock for the infeed table height adjustment - most jointers have some sort of locking device on that adjustment.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the fig 27 and page 23 knob is for adjusting the infeed bed for depth of cut. No problem there.

My question was poorly worded.

The problem is one of alignment of the infeed and outfeed beds. The infeed bed has a 1/32" sag at the entry end. That is, if I bring the beds to zero cut and place a straight edge on the beds, a gap is visible at the end of the entry bed farthest from the cutters. As a result, the wood being jointed develops a convex curve.

I'm looking for a way to adust the alignment so both beds are exactly parallel with each other.

Regards, Gary

Reply to
G Mulcaster

Gary,

The site and the manual do not show the alignment procedures that I can see, so..... Tear into it and remove the infeed table. See if you can find any adjustments and if not, then you have to use the practice that is typically used on jointers - adding shims on the slides that the infeed table rests on. Other than that - call the company and ask.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

Bob,

I removed the infeed table. No adjustments found, However, it looks to be easy to install shims. I will look into that.

There are three Makita service outlets nearby. I'll see if what they have to say. They may have shimstock handy.

I called the National Call Center. Closed now, will try tomorrow.

Again, thanks for the help.

Gary

Reply to
G Mulcaster

On a 29 inch long infeed table that might not be a lot. Is there any chance there is a technique issue or maybe blades too proud? Looking at my Makita I see no adjustment. Unless the jointer really got wacked I would suspect it was dead on from the factory. I do not have a certified straight edge but my 6' level show no problems on my Makita

2030.

Are you ignoring the pointer on the jointer and testing this with a known good straight edge at least 5 feet long? That pointer adjusts. Are you sayin when you place a 6 foot straghtedge on both beds and crank the infeed up to even with the outfeed by the cutter that 29" from the cutter you observe a 1/32" gap?

If the infeed table is caddywompus there are 4 bolt underneath that may allow for minor shifting to adjust a twisted infeed table. You need an anti-caddywompus guage though.

How about a picture?

Reply to
Jim Behning

Just checked. Blades are level with the outfeed table. That is, if I place the two pieces of teak on the rear bed, the cutters barely touch the teak. Ditto if I raise the infeed table level with the outfeed table. When the pieces lay across both beds, the cutters barely touch them.

Looking

The 2030 is quite old, and has been dead on until this year. (An exception noted below).

Yes. I use a 6' straight edge. When I lay it on the tables, the straightedge is flush with the whole length of the outfeed table. It contacts the cutter end of the infeed table and a 1/32" gap shows at the other end of the infeed table.

Can't find the bolts - nor do I see them in the manual (2030N).

I don't think the gap will show.

I'm thinking it might be a temperature problem. I now recall having the same issue last Winter when I once tried to use it in my unheated garage. During the following Summer there was no problem. This year my garage is heated and I'm now in there often. Since I only have the heat on during the day, the machine (which is a big chunk of metal subject to heating/cooling effects) may not warm up enough. We have some warm weather on the way to check my theory.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Gary

Reply to
G Mulcaster

I looked at those 4 bolts. They bolt the infeed table to a surface parallel to the slope the infeed table slides up and down. I guess those bolts would do nothing about alignment. The 2030 now in my basement I have used on occasion since about 1990. It has always been in a stable environment generally ranging from 72-78 degrees with little temperature fluctuation.

Well you have a stumper and maybe temperature is having an effect.

Reply to
Jim Behning

Hmm. I seem to have one large spring loaded bolt holding the infeed table on the sloped rails. The rails are fluted (?) to ensure the infeed table stays in lateral alignment.

The 2030 now in my

Will know soon. Warm weather enroute :)

Regards, Gary

Reply to
G Mulcaster

Just a follow up.

I never did get the infeed table adjusted; it still sags about 1/32" at the infeed end.

However, at long last I had the blades sharpened. Now, finally, the jointer works perfectly with no convexing (new woodworking term) of the boards.

I love my Makita 2030 again :)

Gary

Reply to
G Mulcaster

hi Gary, i'm having exactly the same problem with my 2030 and it's not weather as it's pretty stable here in northern CA. looks like you went through this with a fine tooth comb. so sharpened blades did it eh? i'll try that, thanks for posting all this.

...a also have an old Sears jointer and had the same problem but it does have adjustment screws for this very thing and now it's running perfectly flat

seems odd to me that this Makita doesn't have the same

thanks again

Bernie

Reply to
bernardjungle