Honeywell Electronic Air cleaner problem

My electronic air cleaner won't come on with the electronic filters inserted and the furnace fan on.

They are inserted with the arrows pointing correct for air flow, they are sitting up, with the red contact pads facing up, and the access door is on correctly. I push the switch to the ON position, it does not light up.

After washing them, I did notice one fine wire was missing on one filter, there are two filters for the 4" 16x25" area. Does that matter?

I take out the filters, the light turns on.

Any ideas? samurai.

Reply to
samurai

Were the filters DRY when you reinstalled them?

If the system fails to start when they are installed, there is obviously a fault with one of them. Water could be causing a short, or something similar.

Reply to
Calab

Reply to
Art Todesco

Being not a fan of electronic filters I would recommend getting a pleated replacement throw a way filter. You will be amazed at the amount of dirt it picks up and how much cleaner your table tops and hardwood floors are. That being said, your cell/s are shorting out. They may still have moisture in them or it may actually just be shorted out and done for. The missing ionizing wire wont stop it from working. That will just reduce the effectiveness of the filtration in that area missing the wire. Like I say, try the media replacement. What have you got to lose? It costs approximately $25 and will last for close to a year. IF you dont like it, put those non cleaning air cleaner filters back in. :-) Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

WTG, Bubba.

Every customer that we have given that advice to wished they had done it years sooner. No more "bug zapper" effects, less dust in the house, less expensive to use.

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

"Im telling ya....................... We put in a complete new 14 SEER heat pump" (variable speed) with humidifier and Electro Air UST/SST air cleaner. We kept having complaints about the cleaner popping too much but more so the owner kept saying that "for an air cleaner, it aint cleaning too well." This was an older but sprye couple in a meticulously clean condo. After futzing and futzing with it, I finally ripped the damn cleaner out and put in an SpaceGard 2200 media filter. Within a week the owner called me back and praised how well the filter was taking care of his hardwood floors and table tops (no more dust). Cant believe I screwed with it that long. That was the last Electronic Ive used besides the Aprilaire 5000 electronic air cleaner which has a media filter in it too. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Yep. We do nothing but Spaceguards and the Honeywell F200s. I'd say 95% of the Spaceguards we put in, the media is only changed once a year.

But you know you will always have someone that "researchs on the internet" and INSIST that this model or that model EAC does the best job and they want it installed. Whatever the customer wants.....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

The "missing" wire isn't completely missing, but is shorting the plates.

Find it and remove it.

Reply to
CJT

The Honeywell electrostatics have a media filter in them also, although I believe that that may be washable.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel