split tree branch - tree.JPG (0/1)

Chain saw

--

Reply to
dpb

Fix what?

(This isn't a binaries group. Most newsservers automatically strip attachments to posts in text-only groups. Trying to attach photos to posts here doesn't work.)

Reply to
Doug Miller

bill wrote on 30 Dec 2007 in group alt.home.repair:

That branch has to be 12". Get thee to an arborist.

I do (minor) tree trimming, but there's no way I'd touch yours. There's too much chance that it would come down on my head or your house.

An arborist will have all the right equipment (and insurance) to fix it right. He'll probably go up about 10 feet and drill a hole through that branch and the next one, then put in a piece of 1" threaded rod. It will take some big honkin' fender washers and double hex nuts on both ends.

Or he'll tell you that it's too dangerous to mess with and cut it off.

p.s. My ISP allowed your picture to post in a non-binary group, but most won't. The convention is to post the picture to a group like alt.binaries.pictures, then reference it in your text post.

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
bill

Or just open a free Photobucket account, send the picture there and it will give you an URL/link to it.

Reply to
Ron

Reply to
bill

If you're trying to save the tree branch, I'd call some local tree services. To wrap the tree with a cable will kill the branch, as the bark transmits the nutrients and water up the tree. Might be able to drill in, and crank in screw eyes, and cable from the screw eyes.

May be too much of a job for a home owner with a digicam.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Duct tape.

Reply to
Red Green

There is no 'fixing' that. There's putting on a band aid (cable stay between the two sides) or performing surgery (amputation). The split will start to rot - probably is already rotten to some degree inside or it wouldn't have split.

First question is what gets hit when it goes, second question is how much do the two options cost and finally what are its chances of surviving X years with each option. Only a local arborist viewing the situation firsthand can answer with any certainty. Your local yellow pages will have tree services listed.

RicodJour

You cant fix it, is the spit in the wood or just bark, if its the wood cut it off before it does real damage or kills someone

Reply to
ransley