is -this- a 'tilt-up' concrete building? (pix) I need to cut the doorway bigger...

I'm considering buying this building (please see six or eight images posted below)

I -think- it's a tilt-up concrete building. I haven't yet seen the interior. I do need at least ONE door on the building that's wider than the ones pictured (there are only four 'man doors' on one side, and no other doors). tax roll says the building, outside, is 19 x 60 feet...

so, does anybody here recognize this bulding 'type' as being typically made by any one maker or contractor? it's in north central florida, and was built by some (now bankrupt) communications company for use as a fiber-optics switching station (is my present understanding, anyway).

what I'm *really* trying to determine is how difficult (and/or costly) it might end up being to cut a bigger opening in one of the wall panels (for a rollup door, or some similar).

biggest concern is trying to figure out what might be -inside- the concrete wall, in terms of steel reinforcement, or "stuff I'd have to cut through" to make a doorway wider (on one or both sides of it). it might be simpler (and less costly) just to remove and replace an entire panel...

thanks, I'm wide open for comments and suggestions here,

toolie

- - replies by e-mail, if any, please remove the weirdstuff from my address before you click 'send' thanks :-)

- -

Reply to
dave

SORRY guys, I got the images address wrong the 1st time. the -correct- images address is

toolie

Reply to
dave

Looks like a nice sound building and must be insulated at least 1/2 way judging by the AC units showing. They building some secret space module in there that they won't let in to see? Something sounds a little weird there.

Reply to
Glenn

It is a tilt wall building. You are going to find rebar in the wall, but that is not a major issue if you want to cut a larger hole for a doorway. They make saws that cut both concrete and rebar in one cut.

Forget about removing a panel and replacing it. That is FAR more work than just cutting out a larger hole.

Reply to
Robert Allison

thanks robert, and you other guys too :-)

upon reflection, it appears there's only -two- options if I want to cut in a wider doorway, far as where I can place it. but *both* options involve cutting TWO panels.

I've appended my site, to include images of the two 'tentative wall cutting plan' images - please see

and

and tell me what you think...after the panels are cut, I'd essentially have "two lopsided upside-down letter L-shaped panels" surrounding the (new) rollup door...since the building is 60 feet long, I'm assuming each (of the six) panels is ten feet across

I might have to 'cob in' some sort of steel header up there, possibly with steel side support posts? or?

ALL comments welcome :-)

thanks for all,

toolie

ps - still haven't seen the interior, but expect to within next ten days...what's 'affixed to' the inside wall might have some effect on wether cut plan A or B gets elected....

- - replies by e-mail, if any, please remove the weirdstuff from my address before you click 'send' - thanks :-)

- -

Reply to
dave

sorry, guys, did it again.

the -correct- links for (images of) the opening I'd like to cut into the "concrete bunker" building (for a rollup door) are at:

and at

opinions and comments very much invited, and thanks again,

toolie

- - replies by e-mail, if any, please remove the weirdstuff from my address before you click 'send' - thanks :-)

- -

Reply to
dave

If you cut sections out of two panels, then I would probably oversize the cut and install columns and a beam. In addition, that would give you something on which to mount the roll up doors. I have never been a fan of mounting roll up doors to concrete walls.

I would suggest that you get an engineer to size the beams and columns. That should not cost you more than 300-500 bucks.

Reply to
Robert Allison