Mattress/Platform question

I'm not sure this is the correct group for a mattress question but here goes. I have a platform bed (queen) with a mattress that says on it that it is approved for platform beds. It's over 10 years old and I'm thinking it is time to replace it.

One thing that I've noticed about mattresses is that it is impossible to comparison shop. Each store has different lines from the same manufacturer. Something that should probably be investigated.

Anyway, there don't seem to be mattresses approved for platform beds anymore and I was wondering about the comfort/durability of mattresses without box springs. Any advice on mattresses for platforms is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
dgk

OK

I used to work for a small 10 store mattress chain so I know a bit about them.

The mattress companies make the same or similar mattresses under different names for all different stores this allows all of them to claim you won't find a lower price on the superduperpedic anywhere else, since no one else carries that brand. Of the national brands I felt Serta was a good brand as was Sealy Sealy however had poor box springs.

As for your question a Platform bed will cause the bed to feel much firmer and will cause the mattress to wear out quicker sine the box spring is not absorbing any of the weight. You can purchase a foam bed air bed or a pillow top bed and you should be OK. The important thing is to look at the warranty and see all the different models with the same warranty. if the warranty is the same then the product is similar. Warranty should say if it is void on a platform bed, or not.

It is important to try any bed on a platform rather than a box spring. Go to the stores when they are not busy so that you can spend some time just laying on the bed. A good way to get a decent price on a mattress only since they are expensive is to go the warehouse outlet of one of the stores and see if you they have any scuffed mattresses. Many times during handling the mattresses are slid around and sometimes the plastic bag will tear in a corner and the mattress will get dirty in the corner. people paying full price will always complain about a dirt mark that no one ever sees. So you can save some $$ buying it.

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

It has been. It is perfectly legal; sleazy, but legal. Other industries do it also, but it is not noticed as much. HP has done it with printers making the identical units, say the 850 for the small computer shops, the 855 for the big chain stores.

Can't help much. If you cannot find anything that is specific, I'd put a 1" layer of foam on the platform to give a bit of cushioning. Might help, can't hurt.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I don't believe that there is any reason a mattress would wear quicker without box springs than it would on a platform. Bying a mattress and a springs set (with each costing the same amount of money) never made sense to me. I like a firm mattress and that is what we bought. And a platform will make a mattress a little more firm. Of course, you must put something between the mattress and the wood of the frame just to keep the fabric from abrading, and it only makes sense that you would put down a layer of foam to cushion the mattress. You could, of course, put down a pile of wool blankets but that would be rather costly. We went with a 2 inches of foam, which is not compressed at all by the mattress, thus the mattress is completely supported, probably better than a box spring would. We turned ours often at first, but tended to do it less often as it got older. Oh, yes, same mattress, same foam padding, still working just fine after

32 years. Course it isn't one of those stupid pillow tops; they had more sense than to make them back when we bought that mattress.

wayne wrote:

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

aeropal

That's different. I hadn't considered a latex mattress. Hmm. All sorts of jokes present themselves. I'll restrain that.

I'm worried about smell, durability, cat damage. Thickness. 5 1/2 or 6 inches. Most sheets these days are getting deeper corners and support

12 - 18 inch mattresses. That could be a problem.

Still, I'll continue the hunt. Thank your for the pointer.

Reply to
dgk

32 years? Isn't that rather a long time for a mattress?

Doesn't foam rot away over time? Maybe they make better foam than what I'm thinking of. Where would one buy such foam?

Reply to
dgk

We recently got a new king for our platform bed. The only restriction was that there had to be enough support. Our bed has more than a dozen slats and that was sufficient. When you are at the store ask to see the warranty information. That should tell you the requirements.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

I don't know if it is long or not. Some people change things just for change, not because change is needed or improves anything We don't piss on it, and neither did dogs or cats and the mattress is always covered. The springs are all in place, no humps and bumps. There are no tears in the fabric.

As for the foam, it's just the cheap stuff available in any store at the time. Could be that it is better quality that some of the current stuff. But the real reason that it is still in good condition is that it is completely covered (by the mattress and bedding), the bottom is on a sheet and then the boards, and it is never in the light. I've got a lot of foam pieces (saved from various things) that are still in good condition after 10s of years. I think the main factor is to keep it out of sunlight.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Make your own.. (or have it made..) What I did was look up "foam" in the phonebook, and find a place called "american foam", which company was perfectly willing to glue up a matress in any shape I wanted, in any of three different densities of foam. 4" of high density foam is nearly impossible to bottom out on, which I like, but it's too hard for most people, so I'd recommend 2-4" of high density foam laminated onto 2"-4" of medium density foam, all wrapped in sunforger marine canvas (which, while not QUITE waterproof, is water-repellent enough to keep the foam inside from acting like a sponge..)

--Goedjn

Reply to
default