Bookcase headboard

After hunting for a decent bookcase headboard, I decided to build my own. The decent ones (I found) were expensive.

I was able to do a decent job given I only used a router, a circular saw and a drill. I've still got some finishing touches to put on it.

I would like to know if anyone would recommend a good stain to put on it..? Also I'd like to build a platform bed base to go with it - the one with the drawers underneath. But I think that'd be a bit ambitous given my limited woodworking tool collection..

I've never built drawers in my life. Are there any free plans floating around for a base like that? I guess I could do what I did for the bookcase HB and go to a store and lift some measurements. :>)

Any help would be appreciated..thanks..

Reply to
in2-dadark

Is this PT wood?

Search webtv for the plans.

Reply to
Oren

what kind of wood

Reply to
ransley

For "drawers" under a bed, don't use drawer guides; use wheels.

Keep this in mind, too, as you're building your platform supports. Mattresses plus people plus vigorous activity equals significant stress. My platform Queen-size bed support is three 2x12s and 3/4" plywood platform (no drawers).

I got a new California-type female (delivered right to the door). I'm 190, she's 130.

We broke it.

Reply to
HeyBub

I think it's called white pine..? I used off the shelf at lowes precut..the better pieces.. No PT...

Reply to
in2-dadark

Why would anyone want to stain PT wood? Or for that matter why would they use PT wood for a homemade furniture project (at least on the exposed parts)?

Reply to
in2-dadark

snip

Wow, its 1980 again. Minwax stain is decent as are most major brands at the local paint store. If the wood is pine, a precondition helps give a more even application.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

For "drawers" under a bed, don't use drawer guides; use wheels. Keep this in mind, too, as you're building your platform supports. Mattresses plus people plus vigorous activity equals significant stress. My platform Queen-size bed support is three 2x12s and 3/4" plywood platform (no drawers). I got a new California-type female (delivered right to the door). I'm

190, she's 130. We broke it.

-------------------------

Maybe I'll just attach one of those stock metal bed frames. The most important part was assembling the headboard. I've never had a problem with one of those metal ones..

But now that you mention it, I've busted a couple of the more elaborate ones (with some help as well)...

Reply to
in2-dadark

You'll want to sand uniformly, then use a sanding sealer before staining. W/O the sealer, pine is very prone to blotching; the sealer minimizes the problem.

Any wiping oil stain will be fine although I would recommend against any that are labelled as "stain and finish" or polyurethane. After that, a poly varnish or even a wiping oil depending on the sheen desired.

Reply to
dpb

Why would they use Web TV, just beats the shit out of me!?

Reply to
Oren

My California king size water bed has six drawers all on 32" drawer slides which work well and which I like. Support for the bed is a grid of 3/4 particle board which forms the drawer compartments. There is 1/2" fir ply laying on top of the grid. I built it more than 20 years ago, all is still fine.

Reply to
dadiOH

Use a pre stain sealer first on pine, Bix makes one, or you thin down shellac. Pine will not stain well without a sealer.

Reply to
ransley