How should/can I choose the right bed mattress type?

Hi all, How should/can I choose the right bed mattress type?
I bought a Memory foam mattress and a year later it still gives me a stiff back every morning I normally get up early because of it! I do not mind buying another type of mattress but a few minutes trying one in a shop will not really tell me much will it? Mick.
Often the issue is either your back or even the pillows. Its not as simple as it seems. Might be worth seeing somone about your back. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Mick" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

An interesting problem - I've bought 2 new mattresses in the last 3 years and dislike both of them,
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 62nd day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3178
Don't do business with Churchill Insurance - they're slime.
On 20/12/2012 06:56, Mick wrote:

I've never found the answer either, having bought a number of beds and mattresses over the past 40-odd years.
We find our memory foam (Which best buy, forget the make ATM) a significant improvement over a relatively expensive pocketed spring, although it's not perfect. I often sleep better in hotels (on business) than at home; not necessarily after a large well lubricated meal. Possibly not having to share?
On 20/12/2012 06:56, Mick wrote:

We have for various reasons needed to visit and re-visit buying mattresses over the past ten years or so.
We decided against memory foam largely on the basis of them being too warm - at least in summer.
Ended up every time with one or other Millbrook product with pocket springs. The only relative disappointment was a non-turn mattress - a silly idea which seemed to have been designed either to save materials (only putting full padding on one side of the mattress) or to address the difficulty of turning a full king-size mattress on your own. Even that was very comfortable.
But absolutely agreed - it is impossible in the shop. All you can do is lie as long as possible and try to think yourself into a night on it.
We only have sprung slat bases - not interior sprung so the mattress has to provide virtually all the comfort.
--
Rod

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 06:56:02 +0000, Mick wrote:

Ikea has a 6-month scheme under which you can return a matress if it doesn't suit you. The matress has to be clean, so I bought Ikea's waterproof cover as well, and undamaged. Ikea's mattresses aren't the same sizes as 'ours', so it's worth checking the site for sizes and terms.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
On 20/12/2012 12:05, PeterC wrote:

I have a feeling some are available in UK sizes now.
--
Rod

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 12:05:30 +0000

That implies that a mattress you buy at IKEA might have already had six months use by somebody else. Hmmm.
--
Davey.

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 14:44:54 +0000, Davey wrote:

That did cross my mind. The one delivered hadn't, as there was no sign of any use. Perhaps they're sent elsewhere.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
On 21/12/12 07:32, PeterC wrote:

Probably means they appear at Sale time at a much reduced price.
--
djc

On 20/12/2012 14:44, Davey wrote:

They claim that 10% of Europeans are now conceived on an Ikea mattress... makes you think, if you get that one, its going to be soggy at best ;-))
--
Cheers,

John.

On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 22:17:15 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

Now that is family planning! I wonder how it's transported so quickly.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Is there some strange quirk here that makes this a better claim than simply:
10% of Europeans sleep on an IKEA mattress?
(which TBH doesn't sound like a big deal)
tim
tim..... wrote:

The tacit implication that people who shop at IKEA still get laid?
On 22/12/2012 11:21, Andy Burns wrote:

And it probably runs better than 10% of people die on Ikea mattresses.
(Yes - I know lots of people don't die in their own beds.)
--
Rod

On 22/12/2012 11:17, tim..... wrote:

Yeah, the joke does not work that way ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

I find that hard to believe, the shops are always so busy. No privacy at all. ;-)
Tim
On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 22:17:15 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

Eyewwww, too much information.
--
Cheers
Dave.

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 12:05:30 +0000, PeterC

Having used hotel standard pocket sprung mattresses for many years we looked around for something slightly less firm last year. From recommendations we bought Ikea's pocket sprung with integrated memory foam top. It is very, very good. I have an iffy back, hence the previous really firm mattresses but have no problems with this mattress. I consider it to be a very sound investment. http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90156695/#/20156689
--
rbel

You forgot to state whether you're a six foot bloke weighing 22 stone, or a 5 foot woman weighing seven stone.
What suits one person doesn't suit another.
Of course, if you're a 6 ft 22 stone bloke married to a 5 ft 7 stone woman (or vice versa)...
--
Sam