Platform for queen bed instead of box spring?

I want to put a platform in a regular bed, instead of a boxspring. I read somewhere that if I put in a simple board it might prevent my mattress from breathing. Should I be concerned?

If so, where can I buy / construct a wooden platform? Any ideas / plans I can see.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Rajesh Dugar

The box springs add a dimension of support for the mattress and firmness. If you want to remove it and use a board you can. I would be disappointed in the result for my sleeping habits.

I welded a simple box frame out of 1/2 square steel tube. Raised the bed 11 inches. Just right for me. I kept the box and frame so that I did not have to put in any intermediate structure pieces.

Reply to
SQLit

This is easily cured. Just drill through the board 50 or 60 holes an inch or two across. (You will need these anyway to ventilate moisture when the bed is in use. A mattress on a solid board will otherwise develop mildew on the bottom surface.)

-- Don Phillipson Carlsbad Springs (Ottawa, Canada)

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Should not be a problem they sell dozens of platform beds all the time at almost any mattress store. Most airbeds are sold on platforms!

bed sizes are all standard so just go to local furniture store. you need to support the horizontal boards about every 2 feet going across and about 30" top to bottom. Mine is mostly particle board plywood works fine also!

It might be cheaper to buy a platform than to build one! I like a platform bed since it has drawers and storage underneath!

The hard wood though will cause the mattress to feel much firmer and the mattress will wear out quicker. you could void the warranty by putting the mattress on a platform.

I have an air bed with a memory cell topper from Costco. I really like the combo and the topper got rid of the hump between the 2 bladders!

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

I do want the matttress to feel firmer. Hence the idea to do away with the box spring. Cost wise I don't think will be much difference. I already bought a mattress.

Any ideas where I could buy a set of slats / platform? I've called a lot of furniture stores and they don't know about / have slats. I will need to go to the local home depot and build it myself. If I can buy one for a reasonable price I will. The problem is my bed does not have any support except a couple of metal slats across.

Reply to
Rajesh Dugar