Box Spring won't go upstair

I recently moved to a new home and guess what... My Queen Size Box spring would not go upstairs. The space on the stairs is small enough to let go the queen-size box spring!!! I am puzzled as to what needs to be done? Have any of you experienced such or heard of such thing happening. We have tried all ways but it just won't go, it gets stuck between the ceiling, front wall and the steps on stairs.

What would you suggest to do?

Thanks

Reply to
patelk

You can buy box springs in two halves. Call around to some bed stores.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I have the same problem (just shoved the mattress up there and from that experience, know that the the rigid box spring will not fit). A co-worker suggested to me that I should cut the back slats in the back of the box spring so that I can fold it. Once upstairs, use metal plates to fasten the halves back together with some screws. She claims this worked fine for over 10 years with no problems. I'm not saying cut the whole thing in half, mind you, just the wooden slats in the back so that it can be folded. It's up to you which way it should be cut and folded (lengthwise vs. widthwise). It might be a good idea to have a center support on your bedframe after cutting it like this. The metal plates and screws can be plenty strong enough if done correctly, but it doesn't hurt to have a little extra support too.

Reply to
louie

Can you bring it in through the window? If you have a carpenter friend they may be able to remove and reinstall the window quickly. The opening should be pretty close.

Reply to
badgolferman

Back when before I retired from the A.F., I was stationed in Holland. Had the same situation with a queen box spring. Had to remove a window from an upstairs bedroom. Otherwise, it just wasn't gonna go!!

Reply to
BiloxiBoy

Had an aunt, about 10 years ago, same sort of situation with a sofa for a family room.

Finally had to actually remove window and all framing and just barely got the thing in the house and then replace the window. Luckily there were several relatives who had some building experience.

Reply to
timbirr

One option, believe it or not, is to buy a king-size bed: the box spring is in two parts, and if you can get a queen-size mattress up the stairs, you should have no trouble getting each half of the king-size box springs up there. Then you just have to worry about getting the king-size mattress up, but since that's flexible, it might not present a problem.

I don't know if queen-size box springs are available in two-part sets like kings are, but it wouldn't hurt to spend a bit of time calling furniture stores to find out.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I had an aunt like that too. Had to remove the window. Tried going down the stairs by folding her in half but that didn't work.

mm

Throw the springs away, many people have long ago moved to mattress only.

If you really want to keep the springs, first check to see if there is room to put them through a window. Next, look at where the springs have to bend to get them upstairs, then cut the frame so they will bend, either the long sides or the short sides, and then when you get the springs in the room straighten the springs and attach a stringers of whatever size needed to the original stringers with screws. The latter may take a little effort and you will need to be very careful when you cut the stringers (frame).

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

1) Buy a smaller box spring 2) Buy a larger house 3) Remove a window 4) Cut in a larger window or patio door and patio/deck 5) Leave the bed downstairs and sleep there Bubba
Reply to
Bubba

There is no wonder why------------------>Note: The author of this message requested that it not be archived. This message will be removed from Groups in 6 days (Mar 2, 8:23 pm).

Reply to
Ron

That worked for me when we moved into this house 20 years ago. I made one cut at about the middle of each side and spliced the cuts with strips of hardwood screwed on, set inboard just enough to clear the angle iron sides of the bed frame.

That spring is still working fine, though I think we're on our third mattress now.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Everybody had a better idea than I. I used a hammer and busted out the wall to get the box spring up the stairs. But then it was over 30 years ago and I was a kid in my twenties...what did I know? Took me a couple of years to get around to patching up the mess.

Reply to
Tom

When all you have is a hammer, all your problems look like nails... :-)

"Everybody had a better idea than I. I used a hammer and busted out the wall to get the box spring up the stairs. But then it was over 30 years ago and I was a kid in my twenties...what did I know? Took me a couple of years to get around to patching up the mess."

Reply to
nhurst

"When all you have is a hammer, all your problems look like nails... :-) "

LOL, or maybe a related thought that just popped in right now:

When all you desire to use is a hammer, it's time to go buy some nails and think about it a little bit, you may end up with unused nails, but you'll have fewer holes in your walls.

Reply to
louie

I did something like this when our "full" bed box springs wouldn't fit up the stairs in our 85-year-old house. It's strange -- the house is pretty large, but the stairs are uncommonly narrow and the ceiling on the landing is low and sloping (I think some previous owner lowered it after some damage in a previous life).

What I did was pull back the cloth covering the box springs and remove the staples and brace from one corner of the springs. I could then compress the whole unit into a parallelogram and could then ease the springs around the bend in the stairs and under the low ceiling. Once I got them into the room, I rebuilt the springs and stapled the cloth back down.

When I replaced the mattress set a year or so ago, I special ordered a split spring set. Cost just a little more and well worth it. You don't notice the split at all when sleeping, although I did have to engineer a center brace on the bed frame to support the two halves in the middle.

Reply to
Cue

We did that when we put a sofa into our second-floor TV room. It went up a ladder and through the window easily (after the delivery people tried for two hours to get it up the stairs -- I told 'em it wouldn't fit and to use the window, but noooooo).

We recently replaced the sofa with two recliners and instead of using two men, a ladder, and the window, I got out my reciprocating saw and just chopped it up into pieces and took them all down the stairs myself,

Reply to
Cue
[snip]

Based on my experience, you need to go to a store that specializes in mattresses. The department stores and regular furniture stores have never heard of split springs except for a king bed.

Reply to
Cue

Leave the bed at the previous home and sleep there.

mm

I used to use a big office desk that had the bottom 4 inches of the legs cut off. It was resting on 4" pieces of 4x4". Someone who didn't know that the top unscrews cut the legs off to get it through a door. At least you were able to patch the wall. No decent way to fix the desk.

mm