Heating my new home

I have recently moved into my new one level 2000sqft home and was wondering what would be the best way to heat in the winter. I have a ductless heat pump in the middle of my house in the opeen area (living room, kitchen, dining room and mud room). The other two ends of my house are bed rooms and a rec room. My other heating system is an electric hot water boiler that feeds my in floor heating system. My electricity is half price from 11pm till 7am. Im just not sure what the cheapest way to heat the house would be. Im guessing the heat pump would be cheaper but I can heat up my slab over night when electricity is cheap and the warm slab will heat my house all day. Just not sure what to think ????

Reply to
Luke

Half price? Wow. It was like that in Germany, some people did their wash and cooking at night.

Your electric heat is 100% efficient. At half price that is equivalent to 200%.

Your heat pump is 500% efficient (give or take, depending on ambient temperatures).

Reply to
TimR

Add a storage system.

My electricity is half

Why didn't you put Hydronic PEX in all that Slab when you built the house? A good heat pump enhanced boiler would have heated that cheaply and very comfortably. You system could store hot water during low expense electric rates and used the stored hot water during high rates. As for Cooling ..That is another story.. Use ductless system for that or A fancy chiller system for the Hydronics. Always use your own HVAC people when building a new house. Keep the General contractor out of that. The General makes roughly a 17% markup on sub contractors he hires and he/she usually cuts corners to make even more.

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

I was the general and I did use "hydronic pex" and I have never heard about anyone in my area using the hot water heat pumps, so i was reluclant

Reply to
Luke

Depend on your location, and reversing duct is not so simple But you did say it is ductless, problem is that both in and out is at same frame and level I don't know sorry I'm some what confused.

I have recently moved into my new one level 2000sqft home and was wondering what would be the best way to heat in the winter. I have a ductless heat pump in the middle of my house in the opeen area (living room, kitchen, dining room and mud room). The other two ends of my house are bed rooms and a rec room. My other heating system is an electric hot water boiler that feeds my in floor heating system. My electricity is half price from 11pm till 7am. Im just not sure what the cheapest way to heat the house would be. Im guessing the heat pump would be cheaper but I can heat up my slab over night when electricity is cheap and the warm slab will heat my house all day. Just not sure what to think ????

Reply to
Tony944

Look up some of the hot water storage systems used with solar collectors. Lot of DIY stuff. Mikek

Reply to
amdx