Testing an economizer

How do i test to see if an economizer is working on a Carrier rtu

Reply to
samuelzwirko

I'll admit, don't know. Never done one.

I know; "that was useful, Chris!"

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

RTFM!

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

Just have Carrier send out a Certified, Licensed, Bonded, Insured Technician. End of problem.

Worst case scenario..RTFM!

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

Is there any kind of a panel readout that tells you what is turned on?

I don't know either but this might work.

Take a cool day when the economizer should be enough without the compressor running. Say around 40 to 45 F outside, but hot enough inside to require air conditioning. Or pick any reasonable temperatures. The point of an ec onomizer is to use cold outside air for cooling instead of electricity to c ool down inside air.

Command the economizer off and listen for the compressor to start. Command the economizer on and listen for it to stop. If you don't have an on-off command, you probably have a temperature parameter input. So for off tell it the start point is 0 F, for on 100 F.

Reply to
TimR

I Never work on one.

However I work on similar equipment many times. Checking if is working that it is part, but testing efficiency is the other. The only real way; you would need two same setups and running them for week or so while monitoring electrical consumption it is not easy task, that is done usually within manufacture research departments or on outside testing Laboratory, which are not that many equipped to do that type of work. Last job I work on was on Aberdeen proving Ground MD. where we had set up for testing field portable AC units.

Reply to
Tony944

I Never work on one.

However I work on similar equipment many times. Checking if is working that it is easy part, but testing efficiency is the other. The only real way; you would need two same setups and running them for week or so while monitoring electrical consumption it is not easy task, that is done usually within manufacture research departments or on outside testing Laboratory, which are not that many equipped to do that type of work. Last job I work on was on Aberdeen proving Ground MD. where we had set up for testing field portable AC units.

Reply to
Tony944

In warmer weather, trick the entropy sensor into thinking its cold out side . i.e. spray something cold on it. Some sensors have a red LED light that illuminates when it is ok to economize at which point the OA damper opens on a call for cooling. You can usually turn the minimum pos pot to get so me damper motion as well. Sometimes you can adjust the min pos set point b y either using the internal set point adjustment pot or use a fixed resisto r or use a variable resistor to simulate the sensor. Other times you can pu ll a wire off the sensor to get motor action. It really all depends on wha t kind it is and how sophisticated it is. Best bet is to get a IOM manual from carrier read it and do what it tells you to do. After turning all the dials and if nothing happens you can assume it is broken and a tech should look at it.

Reply to
ftwhd