Box spring repair

We just adopted a 4 month old kitten and so far we have just one minor problem. The kitten has either discovered, or created, a tear in the fabric that covers the bottom of the box spring of the guest bed. He has decided that is a cozy place to sleep so he prefers to climb in and nap there.

We want to discourage that habit and need a good replacement material to use that might be more durable than the regular light weight sheer material used on box springs? I thought about using 6mil plastic vapor barrier material but wonder if there is a good reason for the sheer material that is commonly used - other than cost.

Any suggestions welcome.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I haven't any experience for box spring material but I can speak for door screen material which is resistant to pet scratching/nails. I've had it on my sliding door for several years now with cats who like to dig their claws into it. It still looks new. Regular screen would never survive. Therefore, perhaps you can purchase a roll of that and staple to the bottom of the box spring.

Reply to
Meanie

I was about to write door screen, and Arrow staple tacker. Sounds better than ordinary screen.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I woudln't use plastic when they use cloth. It's hard to believe that would matter wrt the sleeper's comfort, but I'm compulsive.

I think it's the cost, but you could try googling box spring construction

I think you'll have to do the whole box spring, if he made the hole and even maybe if he didn't.

Denim, or the stuff Meanie is talking about.

Does yours have a special name?

Reply to
micky

That would be a good choice. You don't want to seal it completely as it has to breath when you put weight on the mattress.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'd been thinking mold and mildew.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The black petproof fiberglass screen would be my suggestion.

Reply to
clare

Within minutes of hitting the send button I thought of screen. It appears everyone else did too. I found there is what is sold as "pet screen" that is suppose to be tougher than regular screen and that is what I'll be getting tomorrow.

Thanks everyone. It's good to know great minds think alike!

Farkin' cats!

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

It is just to keep dust out. I would imagine that a mattress might hold moisture and odors if plastic was used. Non-woven fabric can be found at fabric stores, but lightweight muslin would probably work well. If there is an upholstery shop in the 'hood, they would have the stuff. Then I'd stick some cardboard or plastic cartons under the bed (or keep door closed?) to keep the kitten out.

Reply to
Norminn

provide the kitty with replacement housing.

A box with a small entrance and some holes for airflow.

big enough for your furry friend to move around, but not hugh

Reply to
bob haller

I guess I don't qualify as a great mind, because my first thought was Lattenrosten.

Reply to
TimR

One of our cats did that a few years back; I just put an old fitted sheet upside down on the box spring. The material is smooth enough that it's hard to scratch/tear, and she never tried to go up there again as far as I know.

Josh

Reply to
Josh

Actually it's to keep the dust in and with most *new* boxsprings are just that, a box w/no springs, so moisture and breathing are not an issue.

Reply to
ChairMan

I need to know that too. Luckily it looks like the material on the bottom of my new box spring is more cat proof but the two others are toast.

Reply to
Julie Bove

wow, ever think of cardboard?

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Not a good idea, at least if you're using corrugated.

The glue is made from starch. Cockroaches will eat it and live in the tubes. The last thing I want in a bedroom is a combination cockroach motel and cafeteria.

Reply to
TimR

you can't possibly believe that julie would allow cockroaches in her house, but she could also get those plastic pads for office chairs or a thin sheet of plywood

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

It's called "Pet -D- Fence" pet screen protector. I purchased it from Home Depot. As I stated, after several years, it still looks new.

Reply to
Meanie

I threw away the box springs in our house and replaced them with Lattenrosten, which I find more comfortable, and have no place for a cat to get in.

Reply to
TimR

Funny, a cat I took in did the hammock thing under an old bed.

Greg

Reply to
gregz