platform bed

question for the wreck, I need to build a mattress platform to replace my breaking boxspring. My idea is make an x shaped middle with a frame around the outside, but SWMBO wants supports every 10-15 inches to support the top board. Now the question is which would be stronger? The bed needs to support just under 600 pounds.

Thanks in advance

Andy

remove a word to reply

Reply to
Andy Leavens

Try building the undersupport frame in the shape of a giant "A", as in Atkins. ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Reply to
roger

I made my bed with support every 24" or so out of 2x3's. Then topped it with

1/4" plywood. Works great and solid as a rock. Weighs a ton though. I put 6 wheels under it so I can move it around.

Leslie

Reply to
Leslie G

(missed OP...) I once made a platform bed with an X support. One long 5/8 ply diagonal and 2 shorts which met at the middle. At center were 4 2x2 through-bolted with, IIRC, 1/4 hex-head bolts. If I knew then what I know now, I'd've put a 1x3 or so rim under the edge of the main platform, which was also 5/8 ply. Top was screwed to more 2x2 along the top edge of the bottom X. I think I used two sheets of ply and two 8'

2x2s.

The top was wider than the mattress by a butt-length, and the height was from the floor to the bottom of my thigh. It is so nice to have furniture that fits you personally.

One could half-lap the bottom, but all I had then was a craftsman sabre saw. I had loads of fun ripping those plywood sheets!

This was grad school days...The mattress' tag said it had been REmanufactured the year I was born!

(I later used the larger piece of the top for a desk, and just last week ripped it again to underlay my workbench top. Wanna see me make a nickel scream?)

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis