Using insect netting on a raised bed

Does anyone know the best way to anchor insect netting over raised beds? The beds are wooden and surrounded by stone paths.

Second question I 'm going to build a wooden frame over them to support the netting - what height should I make the frames over and above the bed?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Glen

Sounds like a lot of work to me.. Why not use some 1/2 inch pvc or wire hoops, and just bury the edges in a few inches of soil at the edge of your box? The material is secured by running cord over the hoops. If you have high winds, roll the sides 2-3 times over a 2x4.

Generally you'll want the material to cover your crops but not be too restrictive, so the height will depend on what you are growing. Maybe

12-18 inches for lettuce, much taller for broccoli.

My .02

Reply to
gonzo

In a similar sort of set up (but with wood chip mulched paths) I keep my bird netting and gauze curtains in place by using old boards/tomato stakes/bricks to hold the covering in place.

It obviously depends on what is growing under the cover. If it's sweet corn it'd have to be at least 6 ft tall.

I use 8 guarge fencing wire to hold mine up. I shove it into the ground and it forms a natural hoop because of how it comes off the roll. I have various leanths that when not in use are stuffed into the wire fence for storage

Reply to
FarmI