Lubricant for PVC

Is there a lubricant that is safe for PVC that I may have around the house? I want to be able to take apart PVC pipe joints easily and repeatedly. I don't want to glue them together... ever.

Reply to
TomWoodman

Dishwashing liquid.

Bob Wheatley

Reply to
Bob Wheatley

What are you planning to run through that PVC pipe?

Why don't you want to glue those pipes?

Tell us more.

If you're runn>Is there a lubricant that is safe for PVC that I may have around the house?

Reply to
Blackbeard

Reply to
TomWoodman

SAWDUST! It's for a woodworking dust control system. I have to do a lot of fitting to get it set up right. I found the answer... good furniture wax... applied then buffed.

BTW is it me or do those PVC elbows and tees and wyes have a very slight taper to give them a snug fit?

Tom

Reply to
TomWoodman

That's a good idea. I would recommend that you use glue for some of the joints. Does your system blow sawdust or suck (vacuum) sawdust?

If you glue some of the joints, you're less likely to have them fall apart. It won't hurt anything, but it's a major pain in the ass.

mike

Reply to
Blackbeard

That's a good idea, I was worried you were starting your own "Blue Man Group"

(in case you've never seen them, they use a PVC pipe constructed percussion instrument in the show)

Reply to
PipeDown

These joints arent going to fall apart Mike. The slip fits are tight, that's why I want to lube them. The system sucks...lol Tom

Reply to
TomWoodman

there are no hub connectors as well, search the web for them. even pvc unions.

Reply to
Ned Flanders

Yeah!! I like those guys!

Reply to
TomWoodman

For the dust collection system in my wood shop I used the thin wall (and cheaper) storm drain pipe and fittings. I duct taped the joints. Don't forget to run a bare copper wire inside all the pipe sections and wire nut them together at the fittings. This prevents dangerous build up of static electricity.

MM

Reply to
Mark Monson

I completely understand how static buildup would occur here but is it really dangerous. Can it trigger an explosion like with flour dust or is is just that you might jerk your hand into a blade when you get shocked.

I also recommend the wire as it will make the dust more manageable if it is not charged (when it could build up in unexpected places)

Reply to
PipeDown

Reply to
TomWoodman

Yeah, the flex pipe and fittings are expensive and they don't flow well. I piped my system entirely with rigid pipe and fittings, but then I'm the plumber. ;o)

MM

Reply to
Mark Monson

Kewl ! Just don't make the thing look pretty. 90's will make the vacuum less efficient. Use

45's.

Reply to
Red Jacket

replying to TomWoodman, Barbara Hanley wrote: I also have the same question....I'm putting together a frame to set over my raised garden bed which I will cover with netting to keep the little critters out, they dig and fool around in there. I have a middle of the 5' pipe "T" to insert to support the leg of the frame and attach it to the bottom part of the frame. I cannot scoot that T onto the pipe. I do not have furniture polish so maybe I will try dish soap unless someone else has a better idea. Thankx

Reply to
Barbara Hanley

replying to TomWoodman, pattyloof wrote: Same question, I use a PVC stand for an event backdrop which is 8'x8' and has to fit into my car, so it gets taken apart and put together on a weekly basis. Do not use Vaseline or WD-40! (don't ask how I know this) I'm going to try the dish soap and see how that does. Thanks.

Reply to
pattyloof

replying to pattyloof, wpe wrote: pattyloof i am using an event backdrop with 10x10 pvc. frame. did you find a solution for your backdrop frame disassembly?

Reply to
wpe