DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant?

I noticed they have that at the local hardware megastore.

Will it work well in in-line skate or skateboard bearings? Would be nice to have a lubricant that is waterproof and will not attract dirt/grime on wheel bearings, since I skate in the city.

Will it help reduce wear on bolt threads? Vise Grips? A regular vice?

What does it not do well that a messy lubricant will do? Or is it just that it is much more expensive per volume?

Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

Maybe, but I'd be inclined not to use it as bearings are not listed. I suspect it also has some oil in it as I once inherited a can of Teflon mold release that I used on a bicycle chain and it rusted. Since then I only use things formulated for specific end uses.

Reply to
Frank

I don't see any problem at all. Sounds very much like the "dry film" stuff used for bike chains, for the same reason. Worst case, you have to clean it off and try something else. You are quite correct in that you have a problem with dirt/grime. The "liquid" lubes will pick up crud like mad.

Reply to
professorpaul

A graphite or molybdenum based lube used sparingly works well. Also white lithium. Anything that is oily by nature is going to attract dirt.

Reply to
Chief Two Eagles

Just a heads up on "mould releases"....they do provide some decent lubrication..but its designed for large surfaces sliding over one another. I use them for pistol magazines and they work very nicely.

But they suck..big time for rotating rolling parts running over each other.

Other lubricant familers are indicated for bearings.

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Well, no. Those bearings aren't based on rubbing parts, but on rolling elements; metal/metal pressures are so high that the teflon will squeeze out, and there isn't any moisture/dirt seal created either. Waterproof greases are better, you can get 'em at any bicycle shop.

Reply to
whit3rd

Much same, here. Silicone spray, the cheap stuff from walmart. Used it to lube the chain on a bike. Gave the bike to a boy whose family lived out of state. I heard later, the chain siezed up. I'm sure he was disapointed.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I bought some DuPont Teflon silicone lubricant. Decreased/cleaned my inline skate bearings. Then flooded the insides of the bearings with the spray lubricant before reassembly.

My skate wheels roll icy quick. Unlike regular lubricant, seems that grit does not get inside of the bearings, time will tell. Not sure how often it should be applied. Before my last long skate... Took the skates onto the porch, turned them upside down, and set them on a rubber doormat. Sprayed both sides of each bearing, between the bearings in the frame. Some of the lubricant probably penetrated into the bearings, most probably stayed outside. During the skate, since I don't use a break, I ditched into grass, dirt, and gravel many times. At least on that trip, stuff did not get caught or stay caught between my wheels and the frame. Some of the lubricant gets onto the polyurethane wheels and might help keep them from drying out, too. For several miles on that trip I was floating as the Teflon silicone lubricant levitated me off of the ground (kidding).

Appears to be doing great so far.

Reply to
John Doe

Hmmm, Teflon is slippery thing man ever invented.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Until politicians?

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

I really like it on the garage door rollers, hinges, track, chain, etc. The one in the barn would get dirty when using spray oil. This solved it.

karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

About one week ago at night when carrying some stuff, I felt unpleasantly unsteady/awkward. It was probably either age catching up with me or (hopefully) using the new lubricant.

I know some devout Americans who talk about this, that, and the other things that are supposed to be good for our country. But when they go to the store, it's "ME FIRST!". You are so selfish and greedy that saving a few pennies is all that matters. You don't care that you're supporting Communist Chinese slave labor and putting your fellow Americans out of work. All because our leaders told you it's okay. They tell you that those Communist Chinese dictators are good people, and you believe it because it helps you feel better when supporting Communist Chinese slave labor and putting your fellow countrymen out of work because you have to save a few pennies when you go to the store. That goes for misled/ignorant/greedy people in other democracies too. It might also apply more to women than men. But the ruling class, our government, or the one-way media would never let us know whether feminism is the root problem. For some strange reason, the one-way media never publishes poll results by gender.

And someday, when our government stomps on your face, it will say "It's your fault, you could have chose to not support Communist Chinese slave labor and put your fellow countrymen out of work, but you are just a greedy bitch".

Reply to
John Doe

Before every third skate or so, I take the skates onto the porch, put them upside down on a rubber mat, and spray the bearing on both sides of each wheel. That might cause some slippage of the rubber wheels, at first like when the wheels are angled, but that is no problem for me.

That even keeps my black skates looking clean. Weird but true.

Reply to
John Doe