Raised Bed

Set stage. Need to add more growing space for growing herbs. Have some back yard, sun. I have several raised beds, started as flowers, now mish mash, don't ask! Everything evolves. Right?! So got, yes I did a couple of those raised garden thingies from Home Depot. 4 x 4, cedar, 7" height.

Next. Didn't rain for a couple days running, mowed that area. Figured tomorrow, scheduled to be pretty.....work on 1 bed. Farmers Market in AM, can come home with another bucket of worm pooh. Lay out area. Got edging (rigid plastic 4" deep, 4' long). Put down to ground level, as I have worked on with other beds. Do wood frame stuff. Put down yesterday's newspaper. I got a couple bags of composted manure and compost at the box store. Figured to put that on paper. Then start building. Top soil, cotton burr compost, worm pooh, other compost etc to rim.

What's going in?! More basil. Then pineapple sage, lemon verbena, chives, lavender. I have all of the above, just need more! Now, that's a nice area for some yarrow, cone flower, rosemary....

Help me before it's too late! Or, does this look like viable plan for the little bed?

Reply to
bchaguy

Running out of ground, while you still have plants, is a common problem for gardeners. Basil is an annual, and does very well in 2L pots for me. The rest are perennials, so place them wisely, as it will be a pain to move them later.

Reply to
Billy

Hi Billy,

Got a reference or a list of herbs that will do well in half day sun? Growing veggies in half day light is near impossible, so I think it's time for a switch.

I help tend my neighbors double lot which once again looks like a Tomato Factory. All from what sprouted out of the compost pile of dead fruit. Zero money spent on plants. So I think I'll just grow what I can, even if it cost me...

Jeff

Leafy plants like lettuce, chard, and basil would do OK in a half day of sun. For Mediterranean herbs, and plant that sets fruit, 6 hr. full sun would probably be the minimum.

Tomatoes, sweet corn, and parsnips are probably the main reasons that people like to garden.

Reply to
Billy

Good luck !

Reply to
Bill who putters

Parsnips?

David Hare-Scott

I thought the same thing! Tell us about it Billy.

Jeff

Thanks. I think it is too hot here (90 or so) for most of the list. I do have a rather bedraggled leftover Swiss Chard.

Jeff

I can't grow. Maybe in the fall. I suppose that you grow them like carrots.

Jeff

You haven't lived.

Reply to
Billy

Think of another vegetable that can perfume your mouth like honeysuckle, short of mangoes. If you haven't had a fresh parsnip, you don't know what a stew can be.

Reply to
Billy

I have and do. Not only that but I grow parsnips. I was wondering in what part of the world growing parsnips was a driving force in gardening 'cause it sure isn't here.

David Hare-Scott

Stew????? I'd consider that a sad waste of fresh parsnip. Steamed, mashed and served with butter is my favoured way with fresh parsnip. (and my mouth is watering as I type)

Reply to
FarmI

I'm sure your right, Fran. Parsnips are the Holy Grail that I am seeking. I've only had a few fresh ones, but I am encouraging them to establish themselves in our garden. Thanks for the advice.

Reply to
Billy

Now you're talking about popularity vs. quality. Most politicians are popular, but with a few exceptions, I'd rather have a bag of "real" manure.

Reply to
Billy

They really are only worth chucking in a stew if they aren't fresh. But fresh is sooooo stunning it done as I described - simple but it eally is a very good way to eat them. IMO, the best way.

Reply to
FarmI

Actually, the way we like them best (so far) is with a pork roast with roots and potatoes, and dried fruit. They (parsnips) also seem to attract ladybugs, however I need a few more data points to confirm that.

Reply to
Billy

How do you incorporate dried fruit into a roast and veg?

They (parsnips) also seem to

All the unbiliffera family (spelling wrong but you'll get the drift) are reputed to be beneficial in the garden for attracting bugs that are good garden workers.

Reply to
FarmI

Just put it down with the veggies, the fat will keep it from burning up and drying out. Apricots, prunes, and figs are good. With the fat, they don't taste too sweet, and you can serve a red wine. Otherwise something white with a bit of sweetness.

I have a number of Umbelliferae, this is the only thing that I've seen lady "bugs" on. I'll check again tomorrow to see whassup.

A question for you dear lady, of a delicate nature. I'm watching an Italian "Policier", "Montalbano" by name, and everytime there is something naughty to see, it looks as if it had been blocked by Vaseline (petroleum jelly??!) on the lens of the camera. Now, I'm pretty certain that the naughty bits were shown in Italy, but this series of "Montalbano"s came by way of Australia. So, the question I have for you, Love, is, are Australians as prudish as USians?

Reply to
Billy

Did a bit more googling and found this wikipedia entry:

down to the section on television and the language and scenes that you will see on Aus TV. I'd say that I've seen and heard most of those word scenes. What we do seem to be a bit more prudish about than the US is what I think of as gratuitous violence. I don't have a problem with good honest old bonking, (or even deviant bonking if it's important to the story line and the story is worth telling) but I have certainly made decisons not to what certain US shows because I thought they were too violent.

Reply to
FarmI