Growing herbs indoors

We have a south-facing four-seasons room with full windows on 3 sides. I thought I'd give herbs a shot. We grow herbs outdoors all summer in pots, and it kills me to pay $3 for a sprig of rosemary at the supermarket.

I just got my seeds, and have some questions.

Should I grow each herb in its own pot, or can I put them all in a flat?

How many of each seed should I plant?

Do I cover the seeds with soil, or just sprinkle them on top?

Should I cover the flat/pot with Saran Wrap or anything like that until they germinate?

Reply to
Anonymous

First, what seeds?

It's a whole lot easier to buy a rosemary plant than to grown one from seed. Basil, on the other hand, is easily and quickly grown from seed, but does better with plenty of heat.

So, if we know which herbs you have seeds for we can better answer your questions.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

I second that. Forget about growing rosemary from seeds. Tarragon too- you can order tarragon bareroots that are stupidly easy to grow. Thyme is also easier to buy than to start from seed, in my experience. Annuals like basil or dill are a piece of cake to start from seed.

Reply to
freemont

The seeds I bought are basil, thyme, coriander, and rosemary (primed?).

Reply to
Anonymous