What should I know to get started in growing herbs organically?

I am interested in growing herbs organically, probably indoors.

What do I need? Where do I get it? Resources? Ideas? TIps?

Thanks!

Allan

Reply to
Allan Hughes

Pots, potting soil, small herb plants, water, organic fertilizer (but herbs generally don't need much fertilizer), enough light, book on growing herbs

Where do I get it?

Local plant nursery, or local Home Depot or Lowes or similar.

Resources? Ideas? TIps?

Just do it! :-)

cheers,

Marj

Reply to
M. Tiefert

Reply to
Michelle

Lots of sun. You can buy plants or seed packets. Most herbs need very little fertilizer, but needs vary from plant to plant. I've had limited success growing herbs indoors, but when planted outdoors in full sun (with neglect) they seem to grow like weeds. My sage is now in full bloom, almost quadrupled in size since early spring.

Reply to
Phisherman

I'd have to agree. Like with most anything else you learn as you go along. When I started my first garden I just planted away! I learned a few things since then (-;

By the way one of my favorite herbs to grow is catnip - I like to see if my cat catches on and actually knows its growing.

Rose

"How did I ever get talked into this?"

Reply to
Rose

Absent Japanese beetles, many herbs are natural insect repellents, and less bothered than other crops. Most aren't "heavy feeders", so after planting in suitable soil, over- rather than under-fertilizing is a more likely problem. Nearly all herbs thrive with lots of sun.

Oh, if you have Swallowtail butterflies, watch your dill and parsley. Swallowtail 'pillars *love* those.

Reply to
Frogleg