Pest control for peach trees

What's the best way to control bugs on a peach tree? It's a Redhaven dwarf. Last summer the fruit was covered with what looked like Japanese beetles.

I haven't had much luck googling.

Thanks, Laura

Reply to
Laura Faussone

The easiest way is to run down to Lowes, Home Depot or your local nursery and buy a small container of home orchid spray. There are several types available, Bonide comes to mind first. Follow the directions on the bottle.

Reply to
farmerdill

Thanks!

Reply to
Laura Faussone

You might also contact a fruit grower in your area and find out what they do. If you are in the U.S. there are usually some limitations on how powerful the spray can be that they sell you. Most of what you buy will help, but usually wont keep it completely bug free.

I use a Dormant Spray once in early spring before blossoms or leaves come on. That is supposed to take care of some of the borers. The only problem is that there are usually several others you need to be concerned with, like the ones you mentioned. Don't use Sevin on your trees, especially during bloom. It will kill the good bugs and your pollinators also.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

Be aware that home orchard spray is called "Fruit Tree Spray" by some major companies like Bonide. Also, these fruit tree sprays also treat for fungicide problems. If you want to be more specific to the insecticide problem, you should look for something like malathion, which is included

in the Bonide fruit tree spray along with Captan which addresses the fungus problems.

Sherw> The easiest way is to run down to Lowes, Home Depot or your local

Reply to
sherwindu

You can say the same of probably every pesticide. I know of no harm in using Sevin at the proper time of the tree's cycle (after petal fall).

Sherwin D.

Reply to
sherwindu

I like lady bugs and praying mantis on my plants and trees to keep off the bad guys. Sevin will kill both.

I have had spider mites on my apple trees and used soapy water to get rid of them, because it didn't bother the lady bugs..

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

If you do that with apples, they will drop off. Actually, if I can find the time, at the right time, this spring and if the weather cooperates, I want to try thinning my apples with Sevin this year. As far as I know, that isn't a problem with peaches.

Steve

Reply to
Steve