growing seeds??

ok so ive just moved house and my bk garden is huge it was in a right state when i first moved in totaly over grown ive even found a hidden path under my window but now ive gone all green fingered and love it but i want to add some colour so ive got this huge flower bed at the side of my house and would love to grow my own flowers in there.

i bought some for get me not seeds from ebay there my frav flower even tho they are classed as weeds i got an empty plastic egg tray put some compast in and popped my little seeds in them am i doing this right?? iam a virgin when it comes to gardening so please help i need tips and everything you ve got to help me grow my little babys how long before i see them growing?? then what do i do?? how many times do i water them??

thanks everyone xx

Reply to
naya69

your enthusiasm should win you half the battle, did you put holes, (seedlings need drainage) in your plastic containers? if not i would make a few in bottom of your containers. a waterlogged seed may sprout but will quickly die. try to keep your compost damp but not wet a daily sprinkle should do the trick. the seeds should have sprouted within 3 weeks , most likely sooner if you did not plant them too deep, depending on how many seeds you planted in the same container you may have to thin them out, ( you could move these on to a slightly larger pot or plant in final garden position) add some fertilizer a few days after the transplant to kick them along.i have used the cardboard egg cartons with great results i raise my seeds in them and then plant whole 'pot' in final position, 12 mini pots per carton and they break down in weeks. ps all the above info should help a bit, but i am a tropical climate gardener....and with so many variables in your question it might pay for you too ask questions on this site in stages ie seeds,transplant,fertilizer,location,care etc good luck and god bless.

Seldom do we realise why, Why do we seldom realise ?

Reply to
kris anthem um

NAYA,

Some flowers are very easy to grow from seed. Depending on where you live you can direct seed Zinnia and Marigold into your garden right now. (These come in heights from 10 inch to 30 inch, so there is one variety for about every position in the garden.) This way you can bypass the seedling stage. ISTM that you are getting late to start something from seedlings, unless you buy a couple of flats at your local mega mart. A strategy that has worked for me here in NJ is to put in pansies in the cooler weather and when they die back (from the heat) replace them with petunias (all bought as plants at the garden shop).

BTW Zinnia and Marigold are also VERY easy to start in containers. Petunias on the other hand are quite difficult.

HTH,

EJ in NJ

Reply to
Ernie Willson

yer i forgot about the holes in the bottom of the tray will fix that problem tomorrow it did actually cross my mind at one point thanks for the advice people and im sure i will be bk with more questions x

Reply to
naya69

Foregt me nots will grow well if you just walk around and scatter the seeds where you want them to grow.

Can't help you there as I've only ever sprinkled the seeds in beds and then ignored them.

Reply to
FarmI