raised flower bed

I wish to create a raised flowerbed against the house.

How can I stop damp ingress into the house wall

Thanks

John

Reply to
John G

Leave a gap.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I once did this, by knocking stakes in at the back by the wall, then standing horticulturally-friendly preservative-treated planks against them; then piling the soil against the planks. The gap at the back (ie width of the stakes) was vital in preventing damp.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I would say simply use a thick piece of DPM.

Or pond liner.

Its best if you can put something breathable between that and the wall as well.

Which amounts to the gap suggested by someone else.

I think - having seen monty don or wossisname on telly talking about raised beds, I'd do this:-

drive in stakes against the house wall Nail treated timber to the outside of them leaving a small gap Run DPM from the far side of the board to the bed side, terminating a couple of inches under the bed

Fill the gap with pea shingle to stop it filling with soil.

Its not ideal, because the wall above the DPC is in contact with the shingle which will to some extend carry rain water to the wall that would otherwise have run straight of, but its the best I can think off. Shingle drains well and should last many years, after which rake it out and add new.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

NP,

Thanks, looks a good solution

John G

Same way as you tank the outside of a building in earth contact, my wall is done with proofex 3000 - but you cant remove it later.

You can get some really wide (1.2m) visqueen zedex DPC which is great stuff, much better than the DPM.

Rick

Reply to
Rick