OT: Mattresses

I'd have thought that getting out there and lying on them would be the best idea but they all feel comfy at first then that declines. The last two were great for the first few months or so then I find i'm tossing and turning as morning nears.

I imagine being the lump that I am and as I get older I need something well constructed rather than the few hundred quid offerings that we normally go for.

Are they any go to or avoid brands that you'd recommend?

Reply to
R D S

IKEA mattresses are usually good, especially the ones with memory foam on top. Highly rated by Which?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Cheers, They seem to have a relatively small number of springs, i've always felt led to believe that more was better?

Reply to
R D S

Solid foam mattress would be better, IMO. IME, a mattress with springs moves about too much if you share it with another.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The ones we have are foam with memory foam as the top layer.

Good sprung mattresses tend to be expensive.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Ikea Morgedal is the one we have on two beds.

77% rating by Which? £229 for standard double.

Best to double check the sizes, as Ikea have their own bed frames which may not match the one you currently have.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Too hot for me.

Reply to
Andy Burns

As far as I can see nowadays anything "Highly rated by Which?" is simply the most expensive. We recently bought a kettle which was a Which? best buy, it was a disaster. A much cheaper one was way, way better than their best buys.

Reply to
Chris Green

+1

A long time ago I realised that if you actually knew anything about what they were testing then the results/recommendations were rather dubious. This was possibly the time where one item was highly recommended and another trashed whereas the two items were identical with different badges.

Reply to
alan_m

Yes. That's when I dropped my subscription.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I often wonder about these Emma ones you see advertised with long try out times before you have to keep them. What do they do with all the returned ones I'd not really want to be the third person to try it out, would you?

Most of the problems with sleeping are as we get older. I used to be able to sleep anywhere, but not so much now with back pain neck pain and whatever else. I really know no answer, For some odd reason I seem to be able to sleep very easily on my three seeter sofa, but not in my bed. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Have you also considered it could be the pillow? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'm not sure springs are the things that matter, I slept on a futon, which has no real springs at all and once you get comfortable you find it no issue. It tends to be a bit narrow for me though. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well, just remember if you go into the Monty Python shop and ask for a Mattress the salesman might put a bucket on his head. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Perhaps they sell them to hotels.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

How much did Ikea pay for that?

I happen to have an Ikea bed which is utter crap. Not sure what mattress it has. I think I swapped them around at some stage

Mattress is currently simply a foam lump. I've slept on concrete floors, across airliner seats, on air beds , deep spring mattressess, and on a futon, for years...

All this fuss about mattresses is simply marketing hype. Most people sleep not so well, and the current climate of fear and panic being induced by the deep state to frighten us back into the EU makes a ripe hunting ground for predatory mattress manufacturers..

Don't fall for it. Learn how to relax no matter what you are on.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Turn down bedroom heating and eliminate the winter duvet then

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I remember when we paid - or said we would pay - a trade magazine £3000 to feature our product and endorse it. That was in the 1970's

Our MD then claimed he never agreed to it after they had done it as he had signed it when drunk...

The trouble with you bushy tailed moralistic snowflakes is you simply haven't worked for enough criminals.

It was around 1980 before I ended up working for someone who was relatively honest. Just a bit of smuggling and embargo breaking on the side

*Everything* in media is fake. Better is feedback on websites, but at least half of that is fake too.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'd put up with it, but management has made her mind up we are getting a new one.

Reply to
R D S

TBH I think we stay in it too long, we need to get up earlier in the morning rather than dossing.

Reply to
R D S