Diesoon v. Numatic Re: Those were the days!

Yes.

Reply to
S Viemeister

A good point. :-)

Reply to
John Williamson

A couple are enjoying some horizontal fun on a sofa -

Her: "Ooh, The Earth just moved!"

Him: "Errr. That was just the robot lifting the sofa to clean the floor."

Reply to
Peter Duncanson

Ask Detective Chief Inspector Japp.

Reply to
Tim Streater

There appears to be a pattern here: people with DC01s (me included) are perfectly happy. ;-) I've not heard anyone speak up for the later models yet, so perhaps the quality dropped with the newer designs...

Reply to
Adam Sampson

My DC11 is working just fine after several years thank you.

Rod.

Reply to
Roderick Stewart

It's not 'London' as you seem to suggest. Just one part of it I'm not very familiar with.

Seems a strange combination - meja luvvies and fighting dogs.

When I worked for the BEEB many years ago the most popular close place to live was Ealing.

My usual dog walking places in order of most used are Wandsworth Common, Tooting Common, Wimbledon Common and Richmond Park. But those who like 'fighting dogs' don't seem to enjoy walking them but prefer just parading them on their patch.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

included) are

designs...

DC04 around 10 years old and one Dyson =A365 service. Nor problems.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Just discovered this, which may be of some interest-

Roderick Stewart

As is my DC08.

Reply to
Peter Duncanson

Cool. When my DC01 finally dies (unlikely to be any time soon) I'll look out for a newer one. :)

Reply to
Adam Sampson

We have several across the family.

I bought a DC04 about 11 years ago. It's only been used for building work. It wasn't bought for that, but it turned out to be so much more effective than a Henry for sucking up plaster/brick dust without blocking or blowing it out the outlet, that it got dedicated for that purpose. Still working fine.

Because the DC04 had been repurposed, a DC07 was bought for cleaning the house. That too is still working fine. Various relatives got to try it and found it so much better than their bagged cleaners, that there are now 3 DC07s across the extended family, all still working fine.

Dysons are expensive. I have never paid more than half price, by keeping an eye out for offers when I was looking for them. They're heavy, so unsuitable for an elderly person to be carrying up/down stairs. They're fragile, so don't drop them down the stairs and expect them to still work. The high suction and wide hose (on later models) means there's a lot of air pressure force contracting the hose when operating, and that can be a problem for a frail person. No bag doesn't mean it doesn't need emptying! If you overfill the dust canister, there's no cyclone anymore, and you will need to rinse/dry the filter. It's all too quick and easy to overfill when it's trapping everything down to 50 microns.

However, if you understand these points, it will clean brilliantly. The ultimate punishment is consuming the full flow dust output from a wall chaser, and the DC04 is the only thing I've found which can do that without either clogging within seconds, or chucking dust out of the back end of the cleaner.

Something I have noticed across the DC01 - DC04 - DC07 - each new model is very significantly better than the previous one, both in performance, and in ease of use. This is at a time when other manufacturers seem to have run out of ideas, other than following Dyson 25 years behind when his patents expire. I haven't tried the later Dysons (DC14 was next, but I think he's in to the 20's now).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

We have a DC03. Small sized upright. It's had the cable fail that's already been mentioned, and I've had to replace a couple of the belts.

15 years old.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I don't think it's the luvvies that have the dogs. The luvvies live in the gated developments along the river. The thugs with dogs prowl the streets.

Reply to
Steve Firth

ROTFL

I've always tended to be a collector of other people's cats.

At one stage I had a double bed with a set of huge cushions arranged around it to turn it into a couch.

At one time something had caused one of the cushions to fall down the gap between bed and wall with only the top corner showing.

Cat #3 jumped up onto the bed, spotted the moved cushion and kind of froze in midair, hanging from the corner of the bed at an impossible cartoon-like angle with all its hair erect, before descending to the floor and begging to be let out.

Cat #2 was terrified of the vacuum cleaner hose but couldn't back away from it. Maybe she thought it was a snake.

Cat #1 was much more laid back, to the extent of drooling while being petted. Once she rubbed up against the gas fire and stuck her tail into the flames, then stood there with an aghast expression as it caught on fire. I had to pull it out and extinguish it for her.

Reply to
Albert Ross

NEVER shake hands with a dog walker

Reply to
Albert Ross

OTOH our dog only needs emptying once a day, and since he is always on agricultural land, the poo stays right where he dumps it, with the landowners blessing 'good fertiliser'

Don't have a small dog with a small bladder in a town, basically.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Here is an article which every cat lover should be mandated to read.

"Are Cats Bad for the Environment?" by Kiera Butler

Researchers in the USofA estimate that each year

1 billion birds are killed by cats 440 000 birds are killed by wind turbines
Reply to
J G Miller

I was talking to a gamekeeper and he said what puzzled him was this strange habit people have of picking up dog shit, putting it in a bag, and hanging it on a tree or bush.

I think the whole issue of picking dog shit up has been invaded by unthinking PC. If it's somewhere where kids aren't going to play or where someone might tread in it it's more hygienic to leave it where it is.

Incidentally a horse left about a ton of shit right across my drive entrance the other week. It's in a pile now rotting down.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

The trouble s cats are carrion eaters. For every 100 birds that cats actually brings home, the chance is that only one was actually killed.

And of those, probably the vast majority were wounded in some way. Or fell out of the nest and would have been easy meat for anything else.

I once phoned about a runged dead bird. The immediate reaction was 'killed buy a cat?

No, replied it was just lying on the ground and looks like it died of natural causes.

I go the impression she was disappointed and didn't believe me.

Mice and baby rabbits, yes.. even a baby squirrel. Birds? No.

Now yer stoat or weasel.. different story. Nest robbers.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher