Diesoon v. Numatic Re: Those were the days!

J G Miller wrote:

We have no cats. It was natural wastage that did it. No cats were dismissed, made redundant, redeployed, or transferred to other branches. No cats were remanded in custody, although if there were prisons for cats I think all of ours would have all spent time inside. No cats were driven up to the moors and slung out of the car door, although sometimes, well . . . let?s just say I did get a bit exasperated once or twice.

Quite simply, for the last 12 years I have had a rigid policy of taking on no new cats. There have been plenty of applicants though. They have appeared almost daily at our door. Experienced middle aged cats claiming skilled rodent operative status. Elderly genteel cats in reduced circumstances, desirous only of a quiet home in which to spend their declining years and assuredly and most definitely not incontinent, not even slightly. Even baby cats, irresistible to all except me, orphaned and in dire straights, mewing piteously, have been unceremoniously rejected and sent on their way. ?Oh Dad, it?s snowing!? ?That?s not my fault. Anyway, they?ve got fur.?

Not long ago the last cat made her exit. She?d hung on and hung on, finally becoming quite helpless, and when we took her on that horrid one way trip the vet took one look and unquestioningly reached for her lethal needle. This cat had done well for 17 years, but the time had come.

Cats:

Blacky (rather fierce), Ginger (pretended to be fierce, but he was a big sissy really), Spook (a seemingly respectable old lady with a shadowy past), Susy (the cleverest of cats), Charlie (her brother, the dimmest of cats), Dandy (short lived), and Tiger (Carolyn's first love).

Cat highlights:

When Susy went silently upstairs, then suddenly urine came out of one of the living room lights. When Blackie reached out to steal my forkful of food, but misjudged it. His paw went into my mouth and I had a severely lacerated tongue and lower lip. When I was testing some big speakers and Spook jumped vertically up off the beanbag and had diarrhoea in mid air. When Ginger would jump on the windowsill and lean on the door handle to let the other cats in or out. When Hil ran Charlie over. He used to go to sleep in cardboard boxes in the road. The wheel of the Volvo went right over him. He was flat. I picked him up and he cried. I put him down on the ground and he sort of swelled back into shape like in the cartoons and walked off. The vet couldn't find any damage (still charged plenty though). When I was ill and immobile for two months. Every day Charlie came upstairs and settled next to me, sometimes licking my face and purring. When I had to tell Carolyn (12) that her beloved Tiger was dead. The worst thing I've ever had to do (amazingly). When we walked up the field and a cat would follow, only to stop at the edge of her territory and meow at us, as if to say ?You?re going over the edge of the world!? When Spook gave birth in a cardboard box in the field, and Louise (10) thought the little tails hanging out of the bottom belonged to rats. When Spook would run across the yard in her inimitable way, her back end not quite behind her front end, like a 'cut and shut' car, nervously dodging from cover to cover like a guerrilla fighter. When I was up a tree and I chopped off a really big branch and then saw Charlie sitting directly below, looking up with gormless interest. He lived, by some miracle. But now we have no cats. We can leave food on the table unguarded. We don?t need to do a headcount when we hear brakes screech outside. We don?t have to deal with occasional nasty smells in inaccessible corners. All of these are good things. But somehow, it doesn?t seem right. The house seems very empty.

I think I?ll get a dog.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Useless as most of the hassle of vacuuming is the trouble to move furniture and mats around.

Reply to
Max Demian
[well written piece of prose]

You really should get stuff like that published.

Or read it out as a "commentary" on local radio.

Reply to
J G Miller

Most of the hassle of vacuuming is the dust, fluff and dog hairs in the first place :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Thank you.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Oh, is that supposed to be done?

Reply to
PeterC

There is a book in there Bill!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

A delightful piece, Bill. I've saved it on my PC 'cos it's great.

SteveT

Reply to
Steve Thackery

Snip excellent tails:-)

Don't get a dog.

They have even bigger routine Vets bills than cats. They need emptying twice a day. This may seem to be an advantage over cats who take care of their own toiletries but actually involves carting a plastic bag containing brown lozenges of consistency determined by diet for 90% of your walk. Dog poo bins are never where you need them and, as we all know, dogs will not shit on their own doorsteps.

Further, you will be tempted to shortcut the exercise routine. This may be justified by the need to take Susie to her music lesson or your football team playing at home. Inevitably this leads to the acquisition of the ubiquitous tennis ball thrower, Frisbee etc......

In the interests of remaining friends I will stop at this point but there is more, much more!

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

One of the advantages of having a dog is that it should force you to have exercise too - and some contemplation time to yourself as well. Of course you *can* just go for a walk without a dog - but that requires will power when you've got 'better' things to do.

The other thing is if you smile and say hello to total strangers when walking alone you'll likely be treated with suspicion. With a dog, it's the norm.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Sunday, July 3rd, 2011 at 07:50:22h +0100, Peter C asked:

Yes.

So the obvious answer is to install levitating furniture that will rise when the robotic vacuum cleaner needs to suck up the various particles which have accumulated around the base of the item of furniture.

Reply to
J G Miller

In fact that's so obvious I wonder why you can't just go out and buy levitating furniture now. It'd make it much easier to move around, too.

SteveT

Reply to
Steve Thackery

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote: [snip]

Only in London.

I find that in London it's the norm to walk past any dog owner, taking care to avoid eye contact. This is because the overwhelming majority of urban dogs are fighting breeds.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Only by the anally retentive. Vacuuming where you can't see is the same as using face bricks when you're going to render.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Thanks.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Well, maybe it is not fully commercially available yet, but I am sure if you can pay and know the right people, you can buy it.

Not so good for people with pacemakers though.

And of course the wonderfully ingenious and inventive English are building, selling, and marketing this type of furniture today.

QUOTE

British Company, Hoverit Ltd, introduce ?The Lounger?, which is the first of their revolutionary magnetic ?hover? furniture range.

British design, precision engineered and British built by hand.

Defying gravity with the use of repelling magnetic forces in both the bed and base this contemporary lounger is comfortable, practical and stylish.

UNQUOTE

And best of all it is easily within the budget of any senior BBC management staff.

QUOTE

PRICE

We?re extending the promotional ?Show? price / offer of £5,875 GBP for a limited period only ? so hurry and order now.

Usual price £7,500 GBP.

We?ll also include a free anti-scratch mat (normally £225).

Delivery is an additional charge ? call for details.

UNQUOTE

Reply to
J G Miller

Think you need to get out more in London. Same as expecting a good cheap cup of coffee bang in the centre.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why not simply have a filtered air circulation system. That would cut down on the dust to very small levels.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Probably not. Most of the dust is produced by us (it's bits of skin) so unless you move the air fast enough to blow all the dust around to where it can be filtered - which would probably be uncomfortable and noisy - filtering won't help.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

But are you programmed for perfect happiness?

Reply to
J G Miller