Dash Cams - Sensible purchase?

Spread food my guess. Convenient rutted track there.

I have had Buzzards follow the plough for worms. Apart from carrion, I think Kites are looking for Frogs/Voles etc.

Nature is not kind! I once carefully avoided a *just hatched* nest of Grey Partridge when cutting hay only to watch them being carried off by an observant Little Owl!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

No way. It would have to be a relativistic fox to evade 24 fps video.

Most likely cause is the memory card was too slow to store the video and so many frames were dropped including the ones with the fox on. HD video dashcams can be quite tetchy about requiring fast cards.

You only get something like 50 frames with the animal on if you are lucky when something runs across the road in front of you. Unless of course you hit it when there may be some more with it airborne and/or hitting the windscreen.

Pigeons leave a white waxy ghost pigeon print on impact with a car windscreen or any other window for that matter...

Reply to
Martin Brown

Think I just heard the twilight zone theme tune playing. ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

What speed did you hit it at? It doesn't do the pheasant much good but I have never ended up with more than a slight dint and a feather pattern. They have absolutely no road sense - beautiful birds though.

I try fairly hard not to hit them but would not do an emergency stop for one - they are after all quite tasty.

I will do emergency stops for deer since they can do serious damage and or take out the steering or if you are really unlucky windscreen.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I was doing 60 and the pheasant hit me head on, narrow country road so too dangerous to swerve. It took out the front grille (Suzuki Grand Vitara), ripped all the castings out of the fibre bumper then smashed into the air conditioning radiator, almost a complete new front end. Don't know what happened to the pheasant though.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

I managed to hit one a bit slower once, and couldnt see it on the road. Eventually found it 6 weeks later when I washed the car...wedged in the front grille.

I hit another one in ta brand new Defender at 60. just dented the front wing in.

I thought 'no point in fixing it, I am bound to hit a few more and can get them all done at once' When I sold it ten years later, that was the only mark on it...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"meat"

Andy Burns

You mean they haven't gone 'vegan'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I use a free app on my iPhone. It records 5 three minute segments then over records them in sequence unless you press the save button.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Rogers

when I was in the fire brigade we got a shout to a car that had run into a cow broadside at about 60mph the whole of the cows innards and baby calf fetus had gone through the windscreen and were inside the car killing the two occupants probably the most bloody incident I ever went to had to hose off the deceased before they could be put into body bags

Reply to
Mark