Using integrated car camera as a webcam?

I'll soon be getting a car with an integrated camera so I've been wondering whether the data from this could be used as a "dash" cam, but (according to M-B) there is no way to get at the data. Has anyone else investigated this? Is there a standard way of doing it?
On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 12:54:15 +0000 snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

Interesting question. I suppose you could always go back to the proverbial "Stone Age" and put your own camera up to the screen? But then, why bother with the intermediate stage anyway.
--
Davey.

Webcam? Do you mean that? Do you have a forward facing camera? If not, I'm not sure why you would want to record the output from a reversing cam.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 14:13:43 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

I have a forward facing camera and I'd love to do this.
On 28/12/2016 14:13, Tim+ wrote:

Sorry about that - brain faster than fingers and eyes off duty! I do not mean webcam, I mean using in the same way a dashcam is used.
Yes, it's a forward-facing camera (for detecting signs, cars, people, etcetera) so it would be good to be able to record the data ... in fact I'm surprised that it isn't an option.

Next year it will be a £1000 option. ;-)
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

I'm waiting for the first production Open Source GPL licence car.
Arduino EMU Generic parts Zero Torx head bolts Massive network of back street garages for servicing.
--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
On 29/12/2016 13:28, Graham. wrote:

Do what all the linux zealots say, make one.

Not likely to be powerful enough but there are other open platforms that may be.

Define generic.

All Torx head bolts, they are much easier to use and are completely open source compatible.

Why? You will be building your own so servicing and repair will be you. If it isn't you then it will cost you a bomb just like opensource software does.

Taint gunna happen because there is nothing in it for the car manufacturers to go that route.
And the cost of car manufacturing plants is so high that it would be impossible to fund the production of cars done that way.
On Wednesday, 28 December 2016 18:20:15 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

My new Guilia has a rubbish GPS, so I still use this.
http://satnav-discounts.co.uk/gb/product/garmin-nuvicam/
On 29/12/2016 04:36, Simon Mason wrote:

The whole car is rubbish so why expect the satnav to be different?

Likely it will be in the next iteration of that part of the design.
On 28/12/2016 14:13, Tim+ wrote:

To prove that the person behind you was texting immediately prior to running into the back of you ?.
On 29/12/2016 17:03, Andrew wrote:

:-)
snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

Doubt it. I know some vendors use GVIF: http://gvif.com/ but Mercedes isn't listed. It's possible they use something else - it could be simple analogue composite video, but likely some other digital standard.
Your best bet is to ask around a Mercedes forum - maybe someone has already hacked the interface.
Theo

Er.... if you can't get the data off it, what's the point of it? I assume it's there to prove fault at an accident?
--
The record of having had intercourse the most frequently goes to a boy who was recorded to have had intercourse about 52,000 times over a period of 30 years. This means he had intercourse on average 33.3 times a week.

Was this sexual or social intercourse?
Bill

Only snobs call it that.
--
My wife and I were watching Who Wants To Be A Millionaire while we were in bed.
I turned to her and said, "Do you want to have sex?"