Shower head riser rail

I want to replace the shower riser rail - when I originally bought it I had to file out the hole to allow it to grip the tapered section of the end of the shower hose.

My question is, Is it "standard" for the shower head to be held onto the riser attachment by the tapered ferule on the end of the hose. I want to minimise the risk of buying one that isn't quite suitable.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Yup it seems like a common way to hold them...

Reply to
John Rumm

IME yes, the conical profile seems to be quite standardised across manufacturers ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Andy Burns has brought this to us :

..Bur only until you buy a replacement head or hose, then all replacements seem to be parallel unless OEM.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The one supplied with our shower had two sizes of taper, and they suggested matching it to the shower head. At the other end it is held only by the threaded outlet and washer, the outer taper is not engaged. The existence of two sizes is a slight concern.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Roger Hayter was thinking very hard :

The threaded sleeves on the shower flexibles, where they attach to the outlet and the head, are captive on the hose. You cannot swap them without wrecking the hose.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yes it's standard practice. But there are at least 2 sizes, as I've found from replacing a number of them. Maybe take the old one with you.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Quite so. The two sizes are at opposite ends. This is not a problem until both end fittings have a taper, as I thought was the case in the OP's setup.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I bought a Croydex one - annoyingly the fixing hole centres are not 600mm as my previous so I had to drill a tile. The tapered fitting is a bit tight and tends to also trap the hose. Damn

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Not just mine then. The replacement hose is fatter and the fitting behaves like a very tight terry clip.

Reply to
Graham.

I have just found an alternative hose in the garage - metal outer instead of plastic - the tapered end is also smaller and is now a perfect fit. Not standardised then! The plastic one was preferable as it was bigger bore and didn't ralle on the wall.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I've always bought hoses with chromed-brass ends, maybe that's the difference?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Andy Burns wrote in news:ecktp9F1frbU1 @mid.individual.net:

This shows the unsatisfactory pipe.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Ah yes, from the look of that, my rail (Mira) would grip the whole of the tapered end, not just 1/4" at the end.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Andy Burns wrote in news:ecl347F2rr4U1 @mid.individual.net:

Now okay with different smaller bore hose

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I think there are wider bore hoses for low pressure tank fed showers. Perhaps the OD is wider too.

Reply to
Graham.

I now need a shower hose with the largest internal hose diameter (the current one is reducing the flow from what I had) - but with the small diameter cone sleeve on the end!

Reply to
DerbyBorn