Matching new shower head to riser bracket - how hard can it be?

Hi all We need a new (cheap-ish) shower head, to replace the old (cheap-ish) one. We have a 22mm riser rail and a generic (cheap-ish!) 'riser rail bracket', into which the hose+screw_connector+part_of_the_shower_head fits and rests.

I have bought two different models of shower head from Screwfix for this recently, but on both of them the end of the head which screws into the hose is (significantly) larger than the tapered hose connector.

As a result the head cannot be fitted into the riser bracket snugly; it butts up against the bracket and the whole arrangement just dangles around.

Given the large range of shower heads I am unsure how this is supposed to work nowadays. Is the idea that only the hose *connector* sits in the bracket? Or am I supposed to find a bracket which matches the shower head? There are no compatibility indications that I can find.

I'd be happy to buy a new riser bracket, and rail too if it came to that, if I could be confident of the quality and fit. Ours is currently 22mm; any experience of decent ones?

Thanks, J^n

Reply to
jkn

On the showers that I've had over the years it's always the tapered bit at the the end of the flexi hose that has fitted into the holder. Only the hose section passes through the slot in the holder and on mine feed the hose in and then pull the hose through the connector to engage the tapered end bit.

Reply to
alan_m

as shown in

alan_m

Hmm. On mine, the end of the tapered connector (about 23mm dia) sits about 7--8mm 'inside' the riser bracket (at one side - the bracket is 'stylishly profiled'). So perhaps I do need to get a new riser bracket, as well as a shower head.

Thanks, that's useful.

J^n

Reply to
jkn

You may just need to change the shower hose. I found that they do larger bore (10 or 11mm) hoses and because the hose is a larger diameter, the taper has to start from a larger diameter. As the taper angle must remain the same, that means that the other end of the taper is larger too and the whole thing sits further out of the riser bracket.

In my case, it sat too far out, but removing the external o-ring that it had to allow the bracket to grip the taper, let it fit my bracket well.

Reply to
SteveW

Hi Steve thanks for the info; I actually think that my shower hose is already the larger diameter - as mentioned, say 23mm diameter for the largest part of the taper.

I will check, but it's sounding like it's the over-large outer aperture of my riser bracket that has the discrepancy.

Cheers, Jon N

Reply to
jkn

I observed this morning taking a shower that the taper at each end of the flexi tube was different.

One end the taper is 19 to 23mm diameter The other end is 22 to 25mm diameter

The flexi hose can be fitted either way to my Electric shower.

Try swapping the ends of the flexi tube.

Reply to
alan_m

There is a nut at the other end of my hose ;-/

Reply to
jkn

Screwfix sells standard sized shower stuff, but many sets are nonstandard. I suspect you may have such a set.

Reply to
Animal

Might be worth a look here

Tim Lamb